Independently Supported Storage Above Garage? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 07-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Question

Independently Supported Storage Above Garage?

Before I began this post, I did a search on garage storage and I found LOTS of threads, but I'm not sure any of them cover my idea.

I would like to add extra storage in the attic above my garage but I'm pretty sure that, due to the small size of the ceiling joists, and the size of the roof trusses, it would not hold much weight. My idea is to build "pier and beam" support system (4"x4"x10' support posts) that would rest on the floor of my garage, extend up through the drywall ceiling, and into the attic above. Once I had the 4x4x10 pier built, I would connect 2"x10"x16' beams in the attic and lay down plywood as the flooring.

The pier and beam system would not be connected to the garage, nor to the attic trusses. Think of it as a giant table inside the garage, but the tabletop is in the attic above my garage ceiling.

I realize I would have to place some time of cross-supports on the 4x4 posts inside the garage so they are stable and will not "rock".

Does this sound crazy?
RickMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,180

Re: Independently Supported Storage Above Garage?

If you can get 16 ft 2x10s in there you could just sister them to the sides of what you have and add support under the ends below the ceiling.
RickMcC likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

So, if I understand what you're getting at, place my cross beams inside the garage to support the garage ceiling, then lay down the flooring directly over the ceiling joists in the attic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMcC View Post
So, if I understand what you're getting at, place my cross beams inside the garage to support the garage ceiling, then lay down the flooring directly over the ceiling joists in the attic?

If that is full width of the garage, can you reach the walls.
Your trusses might be 24" in center, so you may want to go to 16"on center.
Or 3/4 T&G sheeting. You are close to over span but for storage who cares.
RickMcC likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #5

Great idea! That would prevent me from having to do so much prep work in the attic! I'll have to take some new measurements, but I think your plan would work!

Your advice is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
attic , garage , storage