Identify Skylight For Replacement Glass - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Identify skylight for replacement glass

Several years ago a contractor replaced some skylights in my home. The outer insulated glass panel has shattered on one of them and I would like to replace the insulated panel.

I have looked over the entire inside and exterior of the skylights, and I cannot find ANY identifying information, and I cannot figure out how to remove the panel.

The only thing I noticed about it is there are three plugs on each side of the interior sides. I have posted a pic of the side with a plug removed, but there isn't anything in there that looks like it's keeping the window together.

There MUST be a way to replace the panel without completely removing the entire skylight, flashing and all... but for the life of me, I can't figure it out!

Any one know what brand of skylight it is, or how it comes apart?

activa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,036

We would need to see a picture of the outside with the whole skylight so we can see the trim and everything also look for branding on outside.

The glass is usually sealed in with rubberized caulking material.
The glass is typically replaced from the outside so you would need to be on the roof.
Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mingledtrash For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

So there's no info or connectors on the outside of the window, but a contractor friend stopped by and found the Andersen logo etched on the corner. It's an SKS 2857 "snap-in sash." The clips visible in the holes as pictured above are metal clips that lock the sash in. I was able to get the window out after wrestling with the clips and slicing through the caulk.

That's the good news--the bad news is the sash assembly is $540--a bit ridiculous IMHO. SO I'm going to try and break the sash frame apart (it's fiberglass cemented together) and have a local company make the glass, then reassemble and epoxy the stupid thing together.

Last edited by activa; 01-11-2016 at 06:11 PM.
activa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement