How To Wrap Deck Stairs Wrapping Around 270 Degree Corner - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Question

How to wrap deck stairs wrapping around 270 degree corner

I have a portion of my deck that projects out at 45 degree angle from the rest of the deck. The 45 degree angle is towards a BBQ island and an exit from the concrete patio. The deck abuts a concrete patio for about 27 feet of its length.

I am wrapping steps around this projection and along the rest of the deck abutting the patio. The deck is 24" above grade.

I'm using Azek plastic deck boards. Their specs call for stair stringers every 12". I am unsure about how to fill in the space between the stringers at the bottom of the outside 270 degree corner with extra stringers to provide support every 12". There's no room at the top of the rim joist to hang additional stringers.

I was considering cutting partial stringers and then just tying them to the adjacent stringers with blocking, and attaching the bottom of the stringers to a PT 2x4 that's anchored to the concrete with expansion bolts. You can see in the pictures attached that I've used that technique to anchor the stringers to the new patio.

I'm also a little unsure about how to measure for the custom stringers required for this corner. I am intending to just measure it practically -- lay some stair treads from the adjacent stringers and measure the run based on the dimension of the boards at the point where I need stringers.

Does anyone have some suggestions? See pictures to follow, and thanks for your input.

In the pictures to follow, the stair treads are temporary.

Brian
btphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 03:34 AM   #2

Pictures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 260

1. photo of the larger area would help figure things out. If possible, over head shot or a drawing (use a ruler).
2. Don't anchor the bottom to the pavers. That notch will crack along the grain. Get rid of the 2x4 on the pavers. Cut out 1/4" from bottom and shim with stainless washers. I start with s.s. screw to adjust the level along all stringers, then reinstall matching number of washers. Blocks inside the stringers or facia riser with the treads will tie them together. Don't use the bottom most part for bolting the rail post. Extra blocking near and around where the post will go.
3. Start with temporary stringers square to the deck. I would come straight from the stringers on the left side of the photo with a straight board, then match that with short stairs side. Boards will meet at some single point on outside edge. That is about the angle you need. Find the precise angles with a scrap, but don't rely on the numbers. You will have to figure on mistakes as you fit each piece. Use long boards. You need a stringer made with wider lumber at these angles.
If the angle is
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
btphelps (05-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,796

The two different angles at the corner screwed you, you will never get that to work and look decent. You could build the two stairs normal and put a big flower pot there.

If not, I would bring the farthest angle ( first stringer on right side) back to meet the first string to the left side making it one angle and build from there.

Me personally, I would rip that out of there and do it right, making it a single angle or miter depending on how you understand it.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 176

It is not exactly like your describing but this is how I solved getting up on two landings,
Blessings
Attached Thumbnails
How to wrap deck stairs wrapping around 270 degree corner-tree-house-004.jpg   How to wrap deck stairs wrapping around 270 degree corner-tree-house-005.jpg  
williamlayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #6

And the answer is...

For anyone who might be following this post, here's what the (almost) completed stairs look like. I confess this was very much a hack job. I ended up cutting horizontal blocking to support the stair run (tread) and fill in the outside corners of the diagonal stair stringer. It was too hard for me to figure out how to cut the dark red, short stair stringers as suggested by @Keith Weagle in his reply, a great, informative illustration earlier in this thread. I also used a sawsall to trim the stringers in a few places there they were not square.

The key to building stairs that wrap around a 270 degree corner is to make absolutely sure that your diagonal stair stringer attached to the deck corner (the stringer at the center of the second image below) forms the hypotenuse of two identical (though one is reversed, or flipped) right triangles. Needless to say, my stringer dimensions lacked some precision which caused me endless headaches, as did the fact that the left side of the stairs cuts back parallel to the deck at a 22 1/2 degree angle. Well, I wanted to make it pretty.

Another key learning point is to buy what will probably be the cheapest tool you'll spend money on for a project like this: a sliding bevel gauge. Use it to match the angles at the corners where you miter the stair runs (or treads for us lay people). Now I know. Now you know too.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
How to wrap deck stairs wrapping around 270 degree corner-deck-stairs-horizontal-stringers.jpg   How to wrap deck stairs wrapping around 270 degree corner-deck-stairs-2.jpg   How to wrap deck stairs wrapping around 270 degree corner-deck-stairs.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
deck building , stringers deck stairs