How Would You Finish These Stairs? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How would you finish these stairs?

I'm thinking I might just paint the bricks to match the rest of my futrue finished basement. As for the exposed part, I'm thinking of attaching a 'Kicker' 2x8 along the side which I will leave exposed, then build out a wall/hand rail with drywall that buts the 'kicker' board. (Using the wrong word, I know).

Is there anyway I can get drywall on over the stone without making all the crazy cuts?

http://i.imgur.com/Fp588.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qKqAs.jpg
Sammyc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Do you have a plan for the finished basement yet? If no, then my suggestion is to start working on such a plan today, so you can tell your code officer you're just doing the stairs today but want to do them consistent with your intended new use of the basement under todays' standards. For example, and I'm just making this up to illustrate, if your stair is X inches wide today, but you finish and trim it so it is a couple inches less than X, later when you want to start using your basement for (whatever) the code officer may say "the steps MUST be X inches wide so redo them". Better to know such things up front, bearing in mind it may change before you're ready to tackle the rest of the basement.

Best
SteveEl
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #3

A site that can help you visualize your options and help you with a complete professional basement plan is

Last edited by beenthere; 10-12-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: removed link to his website
BasementDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

wow there is a shameless plug for an overpriced service... $599 for a basement deisgn. I know people that will do an entire house for cheaper than that. A basement has no structural so no engineer is required.

I guess they dont realize this is a DIY and not sell your services forum..
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #5

The free version of sketchup does almost everything the pro version does. Great place to start.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #6

Goosh lot's of plugs in here. I'm not going to rebuild the dang stairs, I'm already 3/4 through the way of the basement, I have my 'PLAN', just looking for some finished carpentry ideas.

None offered though...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementDesign View Post
A site that can help you visualize your options and help you with a complete professional basement plan is
Use the contact us tab, to purchase advertising.

If you contributed FREE "how to" advise. Your links would be allowed.

However. Your not contributing any real advise on "how to". So both of your post have had your links removed.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #8

I apologize. I thought your finished basement was a future project as you said in your first post, and I assumed you would build to code. But now you say its almost done. I don't know what options you have that will comply with code for egress in your new living space. Wish I could be more help.

Good luck

Steve El
Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #9

I think I will just throw a wall stringer on the exposed side, build a drywall wall there, and paint the brick. Heck, that will be ten times safer than what's there.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 526

I agree with Steve, the existing stairway isn't safe. 36" wide, one handrail, legal tread depth and riser height, nosing, if required, minimum landing at the bottom, etc.... The stringer on the wall is split at the top two risers, a real danger. Contact your local B.D. and work with them. A paper trail is good for your H.O.Insurance carrier if you ever file a claim or the next buyer sues you for non-permitted work. We are just trying to keep you safe......

They may grandfather them in if you have the other required forms of egress (escape). http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2006%20...C%20SCREEN.pdf

http://www.aacounty.org/IP/Resources...ementGuide.pdf

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement