How Should I Repair A Foundation Footing? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Guap0_

Old 05-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

How should I repair a foundation footing?

The previous owner had left downspout drain around the outside sewer line where it washed out.(1)

Advice for remediating it? I was told elsewhere to place gravel in it and topsoil it? If so would I push gravel under the cutout for the sewer in the brick or should I purchase fill dirt and then push gravel around the line(2)

Thanks

1. https://imgur.com/muZeUfn , https://imgur.com/5Qud178 , and https://imgur.com/XwCUOIB
(noticed it extends under house) should I push dirt or can I use gravel too in this location?
rx2wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: How should I repair a foundation footing?

I'm not sure that I understand the problem. The first pic appears to be a downspout going into a drywell. Is that correct? What does a sewer line have to do with it?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

Maybe the OP meant to say storm sewer line ? Surely the sanitary sewer pipe is not open that way in the pic.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,406

The sewer pipe was set in sand and that has clearly washed away.
Has there ben water damage in the basement, if not I would just replace the sand, if there are voids under the floor that would be filled with md jacking or foam jacking after the refill from the outside.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
Guapo

Quote:
Maybe the OP meant to say storm sewer line ?
We both know that sewer is sewer (toilet, sink, shower) & storm drain is storm drain. Many people confuse the two. I'll wait for clarification.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Has there ben water damage in the basement, if not I would just replace the sand, if there are voids under the floor that would be filled with md jacking or foam jacking after the refill from the outside.
Ayuh,..... Or just dump flowable fill in the hole, vibratin' it, til nearly full, leavin' space for top-dirt,.....

It's sorta like concrete, only it ain't,.... abit tighter to dig than very well compacted stone,.....

It Won't wash out,....
Nealtw likes this.
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..... Or just dump flowable fill in the hole, vibratin' it, til nearly full, leavin' space for top-dirt,.....

It's sorta like concrete, only it ain't,.... abit tighter to dig than very well compacted stone,.....

It Won't wash out,....
The big question is where did it go and how big of space is left where ever this went. Once back filled there still could be voids below the floor that should be filled.
Guap0_ likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
I'm not sure that I understand the problem. The first pic appears to be a downspout going into a drywell. Is that correct? What does a sewer line have to do with it?
I'm sorry, it is not a drywell. It's the downspout which was fed around the sewer line out of the house which runs out from under the footing. The person fed it and the rain washed away the dirt and a small section under the house.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
The big question is where did it go and how big of space is left where ever this went. Once back filled there still could be voids below the floor that should be filled.
It's really just outside the house and slightly under the bottom of that section of the foundation. May I ask what you meant by back filled?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
No damage yet, at least. I would like to fill it. Does it have to be sand? I'm afraid it will wash through. I have gravel and dirt if that would work? If so should I pack the dirt on top or simply mix it and throw it in?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
Guapo

I would use the gravel & a little dirt on top but I would first make a 'basket' out of wire lath & push it as far down in the hole as possible. If there are other voids as mentioned, the gravel won't pass through.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2wave View Post
No damage yet, at least. I would like to fill it. Does it have to be sand? I'm afraid it will wash through. I have gravel and dirt if that would work? If so should I pack the dirt on top or simply mix it and throw it in?
If it is an underground stream you want gravel, if it is a sink hole you may want to move.???
Old 05-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,918

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2wave View Post
Ayuh,..... Can you identify where it's Goin',..??

'round here, there's crevasses in the bedrock limestone,....
If ya wanta stop the fill from fallin' away, ya start with bags of concrete,....

Once had a 8" hole in the middle of a blacktop driveway,....
I tossed in 6 bags of concrete, includin' jammin' down the empty bags, tryin' stop it up,....
Still there, close to 10 years later,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
foundation footing