How To Self Level A Concrete Floor? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,204

How to self level a concrete floor?

I will be needing to level my concrete pad. Once they pour it . I need to finish level it without spending big $$ on a comercial product. What can I use? A semi thick slurry of cement and water or should I add sand to it too? I would like your opinions but please keep it very DIY and simple/cheap. I don't have access to Stateside products. Thanks, dorf dude...
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

If the slab is poured correctly, it will be level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

http://books.google.com/books?ei=8h0...+slab&as_brr=3

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

shu,

Not sure why your slab is going to be unlevel and why you know it is going to be unlevel prior to them pouring it but maybe you could offer the forum an explaination so we can understand why it is going to be wrong even before they start?

Also you pose a hard situation for us to help you with since you are looking for something cheap and simple. The product that my flooring guys use and is actually availible in Germany is the Ardex product however I don't know your definition of cheap. It runs about $40 a bag stateside but may be cheaper where you are.

Good luck and let us know more about your situation if you can maybe we can offer alternatives prior to you having to invest in any products what so ever.

Good luck, be safe
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,204

I am assuming that I will have some imperfections that will need to be filled in. I want to put my laminate floor directly on top of the slab, with some thin foam insuation. I just don't see that they will get it dead on. What is in the $40 bag stuff? I think they are ripping people off with their secret mixes that you "must use". My build is under "Poject Showcase" German house rebuild. Thanks, dorf dude...
Old 08-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

So........ he's talking underlayment. Yeah, there's a chance you might need to use it if you don't have conscientious concrete finishers. It's easy to use.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

WOW!!!

Very impressive!

I checked out your project and I am in awe how much that American got done! lol

I think the best thing to do is maybe explain to the crew that you are intending to install laminate flooring. They may or may not take the extra time to ensure it is as good as they can get it within the tollerances that they normally deal with.

Also Laminate floors have tolerances as to deviations in the floor. You would have to consult with the manufacturers specifications as to tolerances in floor deviances of your specified flooring product.

Also, as far as the floor leveling products I can't tell you what they put in it put I do know that if you were to pour regular concrete slurry as a floor leveler you would not get the performance or strength that you will out of the floor leveling compounds so take it for what it is worth.

I again would suggest explaining to the flooring guys what you intend to do. Then I would wait out the storm and I am guessing that you will find the floor to be suitable for a laminate installation.

Good luck and great project fun to look at!

Good luck and be safe.
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Twentys

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumakerscott View Post
I am assuming that I will have some imperfections that will need to be filled in. I want to put my laminate floor directly on top of the slab, with some thin foam insuation. I just don't see that they will get it dead on. What is in the $40 bag stuff? I think they are ripping people off with their secret mixes that you "must use". My build is under "Poject Showcase" German house rebuild. Thanks, dorf dude...

When the crew shows up that morning to pour and finish give each guy on the crew a twenty and tell them you need a smooth level finish. Take care of me guys.

You will be able to shoot pool on when their done.

Forget the 40 a bag and labor.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,016

I did a 24'x30' slab with emphasis on being smooth and level - I did the forms and prework myself and had a professional finisher there for the pour who understood what i wanted - it came out great. Yes, I bet you could probably play pool on it.

I have also laid tile and laminate flooring on exisiting concrete that was out of spec for flatness per the flooring manufacturer recommendations. I just got a self leveling compound from the big box store to straighten up the surface undulations.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,606

no reason the floor shouldn't be level AND flat IF you have the right guys finishing,,, polymers're the reason levelers work but do it right & there shouldn't be a problem,,, hire cheap guys & cry OR pay the rate & smile,,, smiles are better - MUCH better

stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement