How To Route Downspout Water Away? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

how to route downspout water away?

hi,

so I have a slight humidity problem in my basement and since I'll be taking down the wood paneling that has warped this coming year and trying to drywall it if I can I'd like to do some early work to help with the humidity problem. I know I need to re-grade my front yard to get the yard to be graded away from the house but I'm also interested in finding a way to run the downspouts so that they don't just let out right next to the house.

My question is what methods are there? is it worth it to just run it down the front of my house (my house slopes slightly down across the front, and we're on a corner lot) towards the street and let it out over there? if so what gradient is appropriate? is there a good way to just run it our into the side yard in that direction and let it drain into the soil over there? are there any other ideas to consider?

I tried googling a bit but wasn't able to find anything that I thought was applicable so the help is very much appreciated.

Thank you
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

From most expensive and most effective to least expensive and least effective:

Rain Conductors: Buried PVC collecting downspouts and transporting all water a significant distance to daylight or dry sump

Corrugated pipe extensions 6-10' buried or on the surface daylight or dry sump

Splash Blocks: Available anywhere.

You may also consider a ground gutter. 6 mil Poly or better attached to the foundation 8-10" below grade. Bedded on top of sand with a .25"/foot slope to a french drain. Cover with fill.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
Corrugated pipe extensions 6-10' buried or on the surface daylight or dry sump.
This solution is only slightly more expensive than splash blocks and is VERY easy, especially if you have enough slope to just leave above ground. All you need is a length of corr black pipe, an adapter to connect to your downspout, and a couple sheetmetal screws to make sure it dosen't come off. I haven't bought these materials in a while, but i you could easily do this with 10' of pipe for $20

if you want a more stealth look, something like THIS might be to your liking

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 396

so if I'm going to go the route of transporting the water to daylight, whats the distance I should bury the pipe underground? is 4-6 inches enough for it not to be noticed by having dead spots on the grass? Also, are there any tricks for running it under a slate walkway?

and I'm assuming if I did try to run it to daylight I could just put dry sumps along the way to help reduce the water making it out into the street?

I'm not sure what splash blocks do other then reduce erosion, am I missing something there? and with burying the black pipe to a dry sump a few feet away, how much rain water can a dry sump take? I wouldn't want it backing up during a rain storm. but the look that Mr. Chip has in that picture is certainly what I'm looking for.

thanks for the help and suggestions
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement