How To Repair Exterior Brick/Shingle Joint? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

How to repair Exterior Brick/Shingle joint?

I'm winterizing the house and am a little perplexed by this joint. It connects the brick face of the house with the old aspestos shingles on the side (there's no brick under the shingles). I thought I could pull out the old caulk and redo, but it turns out it's mostly old failing cement with a little caulk that has shifted completely out of the joint. I pulled a little cement out (you can see the gap towards the bottom), and it's about 3/8 inch wide. Any ideas on how to tackle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick
Mantaray14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

You want to check to see if the brick fascade is still attached to the framing. There are brick ties nailed to the houses' framing and integrated into the mortar joints of the wall. When they fail the brick pulls away from the wall. If enough of them fail, the walls integrity is at issue and it can collapse.
Open the side area that we see in the picture and check out the ties. If they look okay(not rusted or detached) mix up some mortar and refill the joint. If you see the issue continuing, you will need to reattach the brick to the structure. This can be done from the front of the wall if necessary.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 22

Thanks Ron,

I'm in LI (South Shore) so these these run down houses probably look familiar .

This should be really easy as long as the ties you describe are still in place. Any tips for doing a neat job with the mortar? Do I just wipe down with a wet sponge when I'm finished?

Thanks again,

Rick
Mantaray14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

You want to minimize the trauma removing the mortar you have. Grinding out the stubbron areas is better then hammering them out. You don't want to start loosening the brick from the mortar that holds them together.
From the picture, most of it seems to be adhering to the brick with a small crack on the shingle side. Those areas can just be caulked.
If you have access to a fiber optic scope, you can open just the areas where it's missing to check out behind the brick.
You can also push on the brick wall to see if it moves.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement