How To Repair A Cut Truss..... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,140
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

How to repair a cut truss.....

So this is something I missed during my walkthrough of this house, but somebody installed an attic ladder (pretty nice old wooden one) and in the process decided that since there was a truss where they wanted it to go they would just chop out the middle of it.

It wouldn't be so bad except for every time I want to go up there I have to climb around the web to get up. I also know that while it will probably stand this way for a long time it isn't really right and i'd like to fix it.

TYIA
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,640

Re: How to repair a cut truss.....

Pictures.

You can typically box them out and brace the cut out sections on the adjacent. Usually if there is an issue with a delivered truss, the engineer ways in and puts his mark on it. We have had several arrive with broken top chords that require sistering with plywood on both sides to stabilize.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So this is something I missed during my walkthrough of this house, but somebody installed an attic ladder (pretty nice old wooden one) and in the process decided that since there was a truss where they wanted it to go they would just chop out the middle of it.

It wouldn't be so bad except for every time I want to go up there I have to climb around the web to get up. I also know that while it will probably stand this way for a long time it isn't really right and i'd like to fix it.

TYIA
Best if you could move it to where you have the required 22 1/2" space.
Can you post a picture. Or two.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Doing it myself

first view from below showing the web impeding entrance to the attic.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rq...b4GI3IfiNHBpd2

Second view showing the web and the king post connection as well as the distance the bottom chord is cut from that connection.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bO...RiGpUikGVJnxM9

Third view showing the connection between the bottom chord and the "header" and the connection between that and the bottom chord. No hanger or reinforcing plates of any kind on any of these.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GC...xpQABMNqKcKFt3

The other side of the ladder is nearly identical, except it isn't near the king post.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
retired framer

Quote:
first view from below showing the web impeding entrance to the attic.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rq...b4GI3IfiNHBpd2

Second view showing the web and the king post connection as well as the distance the bottom chord is cut from that connection.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bO...RiGpUikGVJnxM9

Third view showing the connection between the bottom chord and the "header" and the connection between that and the bottom chord. No hanger or reinforcing plates of any kind on any of these.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GC...xpQABMNqKcKFt3

The other side of the ladder is nearly identical, except it isn't near the king post.
Your trusses are a 16" on center, I have only done that once and they had us leave one opening wide enough for and access.

So when it was built the access was only 28 or 30 inches long and someone has made if longer for that ladder. If you turn the ladder around so you are climbing the other, would that make it better.

A few things that should be mentioned.
Those trusses were not built for a floor up there.
Or storage of any kind.
The paper faced insulation is upside down.
I am not sure what else you could do to make it better. You might take the pictures to any truss company for a suggestion.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Your trusses are a 16" on center, I have only done that once and they had us leave one opening wide enough for and access.

So when it was built the access was only 28 or 30 inches long and someone has made if longer for that ladder. If you turn the ladder around so you are climbing the other, would that make it better.
They are actually 24" on center, and the ladder would have worked perfectly had they put it between the trusses. I'm not sure what happened there. If I turn it a 180, i'll just be hitting the web on the other side of the truss, and the headspace will be even lower as the roof slopes downward in that direction.

I do understand the concept that the attic spaces are not for storage of any kind. I do sort of break that rule a bit and put some light weight stuff up there like my christmas ornaments and sleeping bags for camping.

Growing up my parents had metric tons of things in their attic space (still do to this day) and the roof structure hasn't suffered any apparent damage, so I don't really feel unsafe putting some light boxes in my garage attic.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:42 AM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
They are actually 24" on center, and the ladder would have worked perfectly had they put it between the trusses. I'm not sure what happened there. If I turn it a 180, i'll just be hitting the web on the other side of the truss, and the headspace will be even lower as the roof slopes downward in that direction.

I do understand the concept that the attic spaces are not for storage of any kind. I do sort of break that rule a bit and put some light weight stuff up there like my christmas ornaments and sleeping bags for camping.

Growing up my parents had metric tons of things in their attic space (still do to this day) and the roof structure hasn't suffered any apparent damage, so I don't really feel unsafe putting some light boxes in my garage attic.
Hard to imagine what they were thinking and if you want to move it making a repair with floor and ceiling in place would be hard, did they put the header right across so you could just move it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement