How To Remove Steel Pipe From Sea Floor? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to remove steel pipe from sea floor?

hello! I wasnt sure the best place to post this so I hope this room is acceptable.

I have 2 steel, galvanized, 2 inch diameter, 10ft pipes sheathed with schedule 40 PVC, that have one end sunk 3.5 ft down into the sea floor in a canal. These were used to connect a floating dock to. I now need to remove these pipes. What are some methods for me to try and remove these? any info would be helpful as I'm not sure where to begin. Thanks!

taz
tazmajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 430

How deep is the water? Wiggle back and forth and pull up?
Are they exposed at low tide? A chain and jack will pull them if you have someting to jack against.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

if they are hollow and you can get a hose with compressed air or water down the center you may be able to loosen the material the pipe is embedded in or if you can cap the top and pressurize they may lift
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #4

At low tide, I can see the sea floor. I've tried wiggling back and forth and pulling, and have also tried using a jet hose nozzle and putting the nozzle down the center of the pipe but no luck. I'm thkkning maybe I should try to jet out the soil around the outside of the pipe?
tazmajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
MXer

Rewards Points: 75

This may work

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38444
3 legged dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

I have to ask: How do you know they are only 3 1/2 ft. down into the sea bed? Do you have any idea as to whether they may have been placed in concrete originally? Could you take something like a piece of small re-bar, or small pipe and poke around the pipes to feel for concrete? Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #7

Are the tops of the posts above sea level? Are they threaded on top? The concept I would suggest is based on a fence post driver. A fence post driver is a heavy metal tube, capped at one end, with handles. You place the tube over the fence post, raise is up and slam it down on the post. The post moves a couple of inches with each wack.

You might consider the same concept in reverse. Slide a metal tube (heavy, with handles if possible) over the post. You would need to put a top on the submersed post somehow that is larger in diameter than the metal tube. Then start wacking away in an upward motion. If you can get the geometry to work, the concept will work.

If the top of your post is threaded you can screw on some kind of cap - might need something to act as a "washer" to enlarge the diameter. Or you can drill a hole near the top of the pipe and insert a large (in diameter and length) bolt.
Fleener is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement