How To Properly Seal At Rim Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

how to properly seal at rim joists

Ok I recently discovered a beehive while doing some work in my basment. I cut out a suqare in the drywall ceiling. This is what I found.

Now, my question is where could the bees have come in at? I cleaned out the nest and removed a small piece of insulation that was against the rim joist. Here's a couple of pics with the nest removed.

That section of rim joist is exposed outside because my deck is attached to it.

What should I do to seal this up? I also found 4 acorns below the nest. Could the bees or something else come in through that gap between my block wall and brick? If so, why was it left open like that?
AndyH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Seal what you can with caullk, then place XPS foam board in the space, and either use spray foam, or caulk to seal. In your case, that would be the best solution, since you are getting bees. Also, if you can seal from the outside with caulk, that would be even better.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

ok, thanks! Should I leave that 1.5" gap between my brick and the block wall open?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Do not leave any air gap, otherwise your uninvited guests will return.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

They apparently skipped the soffit ply/boards before the brick was installed. Now the weep (air) holes at the bottom of the veneer brick wall is letting air right through to remove heat from your walls and whole ceiling (because of the strapping gap) with the fiberglass insulation slowing it but not stopping it; http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/how-b...ulation-90438/
Seal, as mentioned, the wire and pipe holes. Then lay a foam piece flat and caulk/foam around it before the next foam installed on the face of the rim joists; http://www.rd.com/57548/article57548.html
Check the top flashing to the brick for insect access gap, also check the size of the weep holes (usually every 2-4'o.c.).Cut off the entry outside and inside.

Gary
Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bugs, mice & other rodents will chew thru foam
I'd say you need something solid to seal that before putting down the XPS

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies! I am kinda confused. I don't know for sure if I have brick veneer. It looks like full size bricks that my rim joists are sitting on. I went outside and I don't see any weep holes. Would I have to dig the dirt away to see where the brick stops? Also I don't see any flashing at the top becasue my vinyl siding overlaps the brick.

Ok so the gap between my exterior brick wall and the cinder block foundation wall is there to let the exterior brick get air? Is it supposed to be open between my floor joists? If not, to properly insulate with the foam board, I would have to tear down my drywall ceiling to get to all the places between the floor joists.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

"AndyH24", where I come from that ain't no bees nest. That be a hornet or paper wasp nest. I'd much rather it be a bees nest if'n I was to get bit from 'em.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 526

"Cut off the entry outside and inside." --- I forgot to tell you how. Use some mesh metal screening in the weep holes to stop insects there, then ply (as Dave said) or foam board as they won't get up to it.

The air space is to dry the brick from the backside with air circulation as it is a water reservoir material.
They are getting in somewhere....... Think like "Sherlock"....

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement