How Make Hole In Cement For Chimney? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How Make Hole In Cement For Chimney?

Hello!

Ok, here's my problem: I have a wood burning stove upstairs, but it's way too hot and hard to regulate the heat. I plan on moving it down stairs and use the pre-existing chimney.

I also need to know if I have to get an insulator or a receiver of some kind once the hole is made.

The chimney resides approximately in the middle of the house. Our oil burning furnace' exhaust goes in the chimney from downstairs too. Below is a picture of the cement block. I think they are called "cinder blocks", but I am not sure:

The stove pipe I will be using has a 6" diameter. I hopefully will be installing it in the middle of the block you see above.

1.) How do I make the hole in the cement?
2.) What tools am I going to need?
3.) How big of a hole am I going to need?
4.) Do I make the hole at slightly upward angle to allow air flow?
5.) Do I need an insulator/receiver for the pipe in the cement?

The hole will be made approx. 2 1/2' feet below the floor joists.

If I need some sort of receptor or insulator, is there an official name for this piece so I can ask for it by name at the hardware store?

Any and all tips on this project that you can give, I would appreciate it. I have hardly any skills, but somehow I manage. LOL!

Thanks,

Aurelius
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is there a dual exhaust path?
You can't put both exhausts thru the same chimney
You may also need an exhaust liner for the cement block for the wood stove

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Scuba_Dave,

Dual exhaust? Not sure what you mean? I only know of one big hole in the chimney that goes from the bottom to the top. For years both the wood stove and furnace exhaust have run up through this chimney.

Not sure what you mean by "exhaust liner". While doing some studying since I posted this thread, I did see a diagram where a "flue" was pointed out. This flue seems to be a liner made of cement. It's smooth. I believe the chimney has a flue because I've seen it when I re-installed the wood stove upstairs last year.

This "flue" also brings up another concern as well, because I'm wondering how to get through that as well. I'm thinking I'm going to have to be careful when making the hole.

Aurelius
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Scuba_Dave,

Dual exhaust? Not sure what you mean? I only know of one big hole in the chimney that goes from the bottom to the top. For years both the wood stove and furnace exhaust have run up through this chimney.

Not sure what you mean by "exhaust liner". While doing some studying since I posted this thread, I did see a diagram where a "flue" was pointed out. This flue seems to be a liner made of cement. It's smooth. I believe the chimney has a flue because I've seen it when I re-installed the wood stove upstairs last year.

This "flue" also brings up another concern as well, because I'm wondering how to get through that as well. I'm thinking I'm going to have to be careful when making the hole.

Aurelius
From what you've posted, I'd recommend a professional come to the house and look at, and do the job if it's even possible. The fact that you've had two units in the same flue and think that's acceptable shows you have no idea about the situation. This can lead to deadly circumstances if you continue.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The fact that the exhaust was routed incorrectly in the past does not mean you can continue to do so
You need 2 seperate methods of exhaust

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

There is an immanent danger of carbon monoxide poison occuring with your present arrangement. All furnaces exhaust CO and if this should happen to escape into your living quarters, it could be fatal.
In my area, a whole family died from CO poisoning, recently!
Your furnace should have a metal liner installed, all the way from the furnace to the chimney cap.
When the wood stove is moved to the basement, it should/must have its own metal lined chimney flue.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 996

You have been given good advice other posters. But they did not address the clearance to combustables issue, or make-up air. I suggest you stop using the existing location untill you get the code requirements where you live. Also contact your insurance company about the wood stove coverage you may or may not have.

You need to contact a licensed, experienced contractor to look at your heating install. Expect to pay for his service and knowledge.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement