How Do I Get Mortar Film Off - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

How do i get mortar film off

We layed our patio pavers and broomed in mortar.We washed and scrubed all of it off but when it dries there is a white film left. We already planned to seal the pavers to give it a darker look and now this.Im worried about cleaning it with acid i just dont want to lightin the pavers at all.
Tonya36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

I don't know why you would broom in mortar, over pavers. The surface of these are filled with crevices.
Who told you to do this? The mortar will have absolutely no holding power going into tiny spaces between the pavers.
I don't know if even acid will do the trick.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 360

I do not know if acid would do it but if you try acid test it on one or two pavers before doing the entire patio. You might have better sucess with a very powerfus pressure washer if you can use it without washing out the base. As mentioned in the post above mortar is not very effective holding the pavers in place. Sharp sand or crushed stone is very effective keeping everything in place. My preference is crushed limestone if I can get it. The sharp angles and different sized grains are what does the job. If it were me, at this point I would leave the mortar in place and use the sharp sand or crushed stone as it washes away.

You might try some of the sealer right on the pavers as they are. It may darken the mortar and make it less noticeable. I am not big on sealers for pavers because you need to reapply it every year or two.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

If you are talking about interlocking concrete pavers, you NEVER put motar in the joints. You sweep and vibrate masons sand into joints as you get the final surface even with a vibrator.

Could you have been using polymeric sand? This can cause noticeable films depending on the weather and paver color.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #5

It was Masony not Mortar my bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I don't know why you would broom in mortar, over pavers. The surface of these are filled with crevices.
Who told you to do this? The mortar will have absolutely no holding power going into tiny spaces between the pavers.
I don't know if even acid will do the trick.
Ron
My mistake we used Masonry and the film left on the pavers is Efflorescence and is not permanent it will disappear over time.So nobody told us to use Mortar!Thanks anyway,Tonya
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegeSullivan View Post
I do not know if acid would do it but if you try acid test it on one or two pavers before doing the entire patio. You might have better sucess with a very powerfus pressure washer if you can use it without washing out the base. As mentioned in the post above mortar is not very effective holding the pavers in place. Sharp sand or crushed stone is very effective keeping everything in place. My preference is crushed limestone if I can get it. The sharp angles and different sized grains are what does the job. If it were me, at this point I would leave the mortar in place and use the sharp sand or crushed stone as it washes away.

You might try some of the sealer right on the pavers as they are. It may darken the mortar and make it less noticeable. I am not big on sealers for pavers because you need to reapply it every year or two.

Rege
Thank you,We used Masonry not Mortar I found out the white film it called Efflorescence and will disappear over time
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
If you are talking about interlocking concrete pavers, you NEVER put motar in the joints. You sweep and vibrate masons sand into joints as you get the final surface even with a vibrator.

Could you have been using polymeric sand? This can cause noticeable films depending on the weather and paver color.

Dick
YES we did use Masonry not Mortar!My mistake i thought we did use Mortar! Anyway i found out with masonry a film called Efflorescence will form a haze and disappear over time.There not locking pavers.And i washed it with some water and mer.acid and it looks a little better.Thank you ,Tonya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement