How To Build A "wall" To Fix Gap In Garage Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to build a "wall" to fix gap in garage floor

Our basement has a room build UNDER the garage. In the corner of the garage there is a opening (2 ft by 2 ft) that is covered by only a square piece of wood that fits perfectly into the space.
This leads directly into the room underneath. I have some fiberglass insulation stuffed into the space, but obviously this isn't a good fix. Suggestions on how to build something to close this opening permanently? Need to keep the cold air of the basement room. House was built in 1949; the garage floor is concrete but I think there is some wood framing on 2 sides of the hole so something could be nailed in there. Suggestions?
monkees67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Add another 2x2 board underneath and make a wooden 'sandwich' filled with Great Stuff Foam.
(I'd add the bottom, then fill with foam, let it set, flatten it out and put the board back on top and screw it down.)

DM
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, but more substantial?

The hole is quite deep; at least 18 inches I bet. I think whatever I use should be more substantial and perhaps offer more insulation. Any suggestions?
monkees67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
the Musigician

4 cans.

DM
Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

You need to brace it up and pour some concrete over it as required by Code. "Non-combustible floor (with slope to vehicle door or to a drain)" IRC 309.3 "Block (fire-blocking) at ceiling/floor levels" -- IRC 602.8

Gary
Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
the Musigician

This I did not know.... How well does concrete insulate?

DM
Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

If I understand right, there's a heated room under your garage. Most of the garage has a concrete floor except this one hole. You are wondering about insulating that hole. Well, how is the ceiling in the rest of the room insulated from the garage floor?

I'm with GBR, talk to your building inspector about options for complying with code and then explore insulation options within that context
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement