How To Avoid Underground Flex PVC And Electrical Lines - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 37

How to avoid underground flex PVC and electrical lines

I will be doing some minor excavating for a paver patio with a skid steer to get the proper base for the pavers (aprx 6-12 inch).

My State (PA) has a call service for marking utility lines to avoid excavating in those areas.

I know from past markings that I will be on top of the area where I want to put perforated PVC for drainage and the flexible PVC for my pool plumbing is located near this excavation site.

These suspect places will need to be properly excavated to get the base material for the patio stones in place. Obviously I will avoid using the skid steer in those areas, but what should I do about any manual excavation. Obviously I don't want to just going shovel crazy. But I also don't want to use a toothbrush or I will feel like Clint Eastwood in Escape from Alcatraz.

I am not so concerned about the electrical section becasue the utility ditch is known to be 3-4 feet down and I will be excavating < 12 inches. I can always use a metal detector to get a ball park place as well as the markings from the PA One Call service.

I am not aware of a way to detect flex PVC that has pool water running through it.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. My plan to this point is highly watering the area and removing the mud by hand once the pipes are detected. Then use manual shovel in the safer places.
BrandonC_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement