How To Attach Deck Beam To Posts That Pass Thru Deck To Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

How to attach deck beam to posts that pass thru deck to roof

When my house was built, we envisioned a screened deck with roof. We had the builder put the roof on but not the deck to cut costs. Now I'm planning to put the deck on, and I'm unsure how to attach the beam to the four 6x6 cedar posts holding the roof up.

I know bolting the beam to the side of posts was once acceptable, but is no longer recommended or meets code.

Notching the existing 6x6 posts seems like a bad idea given that the roof is supported by them as well.

Adding a jack stud to the side of the post stretching from beam to concrete footing seems like the strongest solution, but not the most aesthetically appealing. Also, the concrete pillars at the top are not very wide and the existing 6x6 are not centered, so jack stud would be on very edge of concrete if at all.

Are there metal fasteners that would help out here?

Also, the beam (deck width) is 24 feet, so I will need to splice the beam since the longest 2x12's I can find are 18 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
How to attach deck beam to posts that pass thru deck to roof-backporch.jpg  
tim4870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,772

Re: How to attach deck beam to posts that pass thru deck to roof

Simpson "strongtie", makes metal brackets for this.

And Menard's tells me that they can special order lumber up to 32' .

Have you tried a Menard's?

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beam , deck