House Foundation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjniles

Old 08-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

House Foundation

Hello All,

Anyone knows if this type of foundation is common practice in house construction? Am I getting myself in trouble buying a house with this type of foundation?

Thanks,

Rod
Attached Thumbnails
House Foundation-412013_15_e.jpg  
rodsimidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 224

Re: House Foundation

Very common in the South. Looks like you have been in my crawl space😂
onlyaura likes this.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

You have asked two very different questions. Rjniles has pointed out that the type of foundation you are looking at, which is known as pier and beam, is very common down south.

Your other question was whether you are getting into trouble purchasing a house with that type of foundation. This is a much more difficult question. The biggest issue with the foundation is the lack of positive connection between the blocks and the house, and between the blocks and the footing (if all of the blocks even have footings). It is literally possible for a house to lift off the supports in a flood of as little as six inches of water. I have pictures of dozens of houses that did exactly that after hurricanes Katrina and Rita. So if you are purchasing in a flood prone area, this type of foundation is not good practice.

Similarly, the house can blow away in hurricane force winds or a tornado, so if you are purchasing in that type of area, not a good foundation type. Also, the foundation is prone to differential settlement if you are purchasing in an area of expansive clay, common in many parts of the United States.

If you have any questions about the flood potential, wind potential, or soil type in your area, you may want to consult an expert prior to purchase. You can always offer a price consistent with upgrading the foundation to a stronger type.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
rodsimidu (08-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,384

At least 95% of the home's built in my area are built that way.
A few thing I see are no vapor barrier on the ground, no insulation in the joist bays, or it was falling down because of the lack of a vapor barrier causing it to get damp and sagging.
It would be interesting to see why it looks like the floor joist in the foreground is not touching the main beam, and why the back section was done differently.
rodsimidu (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks Gents,

Very informative and helpful.

Rod
rodsimidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement