Homeowner Attempts To Buy Windows - Cue Laugh Track - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Homeowner attempts to buy windows - cue laugh track

Okay, so reliable, impartial, experienced sources of data don't exist right (apart from this site, of course)? I'm told to "hire a pro" - they've already done the research. Ones I've talked to sell what the have and don't have long-term reliability data. Products always changing. Company X bought out by company Y. Certain Teed to PlyGem. Eagle to Anderson. Pella great - but not at Lowes.
Warranty has more holes than Swiss cheese. Brand X slider great, double-hung awful. Internet awash in horror stories for almost every brand - product failures and poor/non-existent customer service. Maker blames installer, installer blames maker. Forget the US - buy Canada or Germany.

I'm replacing 25 windows in the mountains. Summers 80-90, winters teens and 20s. Leaning towards fiberglass - at least if they hold up structurally I can paint them in 10 years (not so with vinyl I think). Marvin seems to get the least jabs (except for the 90s fiasco) - high quality with limited warranty. Hmmmm - if Marvin warranties for 10 years how can Milgard (lower quality, right?) warranty for lifetime+? That lifetime warranty sure looks tasty said the fish to the fisherman.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Milgard fiberglass and the best installer I can find. Now, someone PLEASE tell me what an idiot I am: that Brand X vinyl is just as good and cheaper; The lifetime warranty is just bait for an inferior product; stop being a cheapskate and put up the big bucks for Brand Y; I'm a fool - nothing lasts 10 years these days; when Bonzai Bernanke gets done with QE 3, 4, & 5 none of these companies will even exist; go back to wood - high maintenance, but at least it CAN be maintained.

If you had your windows install right after Nixon stepped down and they still work great, please let me know. Oh, and I will pay good $$ (seriously - email me at [email protected]) for consulting with a contractor who has been around for decades installing Marvin, Anderson, Pella, Milgard, Simonton, Serious, etc. and has personal experience on which products are the most reliable.
ltlredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement