Hip Roof Framing - Building & Construction - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,400
Rewards Points: 504
Default

Re: Hip roof framing


Some images. I googled hip roof details, then click on images. It shows ceiling joists necessary. If no ceiling joists, other way of bracing the rim joists. Doesn't have to be like the images but any roof framing must account for the load.
Attached Thumbnails
Hip roof framing-3.jpg  
Attached Images
   
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #17
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 5,975
Rewards Points: 708
Default

Re: Hip roof framing


I took too long typing my reply and others have covered my information above.
__________________
Quote:
Short of cutting off a body part, the worst that can happen in woodworking is manufacturing really nice looking kindling. --- Quoted from lenaitch

Last edited by jlhaslip; 02-25-2018 at 06:00 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 715
Rewards Points: 1,305
Default

Re: Hip roof framing


Carpdad's pictures all depict hip framing on a rectangle. That's why there is a ridge.

The middle photo in post 16 is what your framing should look like. (From below)
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #19
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 5,975
Rewards Points: 708
Default

Re: Hip roof framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Some images. I googled hip roof details, then click on images. It shows ceiling joists necessary. If no ceiling joists, other way of bracing the rim joists. Doesn't have to be like the images but any roof framing must account for the load.
Note that the image showing the detail of the Hip posted in @carpdad 's reply is an image of a Hip using Trusses and a Girder truss, so your stick framed Hip will look somewhat different in its structural form.
__________________
Quote:
Short of cutting off a body part, the worst that can happen in woodworking is manufacturing really nice looking kindling. --- Quoted from lenaitch
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #20
Remodel and New Build GC
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado @ 7651'
Posts: 8,362
Rewards Points: 528
Default

Re: Hip roof framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Stop the build and I hope you didn't prepay much.
1. photo ridge is about 30% of the span. Your build is about 80% ridge. The side next to the roof will not be hip. That side, once roofed, will drain to the existing roof. It WILL start leaking there. Even if framed right, don't drain toward existing shingles. You need to move the build away from the house or think of something else.

2. One side doesn't have the hip rafter yet, but hip and the ridge are load bearing, unless there is a beam with all kinds of braces. Your ridge and rafters are all same size and not calculated to be load bearing. Search "hip roof framing".

CarpDAD is correct from what we can see........

In the pic above , I did not even notice it was being built onto your existing home untill Carp pointed it out.

If so, that ridge would have to continue until it intersects with your existing roof, and then overbuilt to your existing roof, creating two valleys for water runoff...... but I'm pretty sure that's not what your fellow is doing.

Give us a broad (over view) picture of what is happening......

Good luck
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 42
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Stop the build and I hope you didn't prepay much.
1. photo ridge is about 30% of the span. Your build is about 80% ridge. The side next to the roof will not be hip. That side, once roofed, will drain to the existing roof. It WILL start leaking there. Even if framed right, don't drain toward existing shingles. You need to move the build away from the house or think of something else.

2. One side doesn't have the hip rafter yet, but hip and the ridge are load bearing, unless there is a beam with all kinds of braces. Your ridge and rafters are all same size and not calculated to be load bearing. Search "hip roof framing".

CarpDAD is correct from what we can see........

In the pic above , I did not even notice it was being built onto your existing home untill Carp pointed it out.

If so, that ridge would have to continue until it intersects with your existing roof, and then overbuilt to your existing roof, creating two valleys for water runoff...... but I'm pretty sure that's not what your fellow is doing.

Give us a broad (over view) picture of what is happening......

Good luck
Thanks for the replies. It will not be attached to the home and there will be a gap so water doesnít drain onto the home. But I was thinking the same thing about it not looking like it should... thanks for the replies.
omgdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 42
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Johnson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
A hip roof on a square building has 4 hip rafters that all meet at the peak and nothing but jack rafters. It would only have a ridge if it is a rectangle, like the picture in post 5.

IMO, your "framer" doesn't have a clue of what he is doing and he's in over his head.
And those collar ties are a big fail.
Tell me how to fix them please? Also should I have the rafters notched (itís called a bird notch or something?) near the collar tie where they rest on the framing?
omgdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,803
Rewards Points: 898
Default

Re: Hip roof framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by omgdiddy View Post
Tell me how to fix them please? Also should I have the rafters notched (itís called a bird notch or something?) near the collar tie where they rest on the framing?
Theyíre not? Itís hard to tell in the pics. and the notches wouldnít be very deep due to the low pitch, it still needs to be done.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roof Framing help - Cathedral Garage Roof with Trolley scootermcrad Building & Construction 6 08-15-2012 09:23 AM
Allowable roof loads for framing plummen Building & Construction 15 01-16-2012 07:05 PM
gable roof tie in framing moonshadow Roofing/Siding 4 08-20-2009 09:03 PM
Flat roof - Rolled? - leaks Advice? JJ2001 Roofing/Siding 4 11-19-2006 07:17 AM
Need help with framing roof for sunroom diehard_1955 Carpentry 1 04-27-2005 11:24 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts