Help W/ Wiring Stud "rules" - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2017, 11:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Help w/ wiring stud "rules"

I will try REALLY to explain this with as much detail as possible because I am 99.999% sure I will be using the wrong terminology.

We are mounting our TV(attempting) over a gas fireplace which was converted from a standard wood burning. My thought was to simply run some romex through a few studs then down through the sole plate etc.

When I took the drywall down I noticed some framing I was not quite expecting. 4 2x6s after the first 2x6 and then it goes back to a single 2x6, etc.

I would never consider notching however is this OK to drill a hole through the 4 2x6s? Would only be a 1 inch hole so roughly 17% of the stud width and I believe I've read exterior walls you just don't want to make a hole larger than 40% of the studs width.

If this question is in the wrong spot could the mods please move it?

Thanks in advance all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KG88Ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,748

Re: Help w/ wiring stud "rules"

Here is a good pdf that goes over the rules.

http://co.routt.co.us/building/handouts/notching.pdf

http://www.mybuildingpermit.com/Cons...Sheet06_11.pdf

http://buildingadvisor.com/wp-conten...ring_Guide.pdf
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 44

The unexpected framing is probably fire blocking because it's a fireplace surround. If a fire gets in to the walls the horizontal framing prevent the wall cavities from acting like a flue. There are fire caulking products for filling holes in those members.

if you are only running one or two 14-2 Romex cables you can use a 3/4" hole, though I admit I don't know what code is in this area.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Is 3/4 the max? That's the size hole I was planning on drilling which is far less than the max I see in the above attached links. My main concern was when I saw all those studs together it was something "super structural."

Here is the piece I was talking about.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,470

Four two bye sixes is excessive for fire blocking but could indicate a load bearing column. For example, the first floor of my house has a couple of triple two bye six columns, each situated over lowly column in the basement, and each holding up one end of a 16' steel beam that supports the center of the second floor in that area. If you're not sure, why not just drop into the basement before you get to that quadruple? And that said, a 5/8" hole through the center of the thing would not likely result in the place falling down. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #6

So originally I was just going to drop down into the basement but since this was a wood burning converted over there is a massive amount of metal/concrete plating/support for the old fireplace.

Unfortunately there is absolutely no way I can go down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement