Help Installing Half Round Gutter - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Help installing half round gutter

Today I installed my copper gutters, finally.

I have no fascia, and thus needed the deck straps that go under the shingles.
I was able to easily get the shingles up and attach the straps 2'OC.
I had a line strung between two boards screwed to my post and casing, and used a combination of a level held along the line, and measuring down from the drip edge to the top of the bracket (mocked in place).

I sweated everything together, and everything was great - EXCEPT:

I installed the two low-end runs (on opposite ends of the porch) temporarily on a few brackets, and the whole thing immediately struck me as way too low, too far below the roof line.

The top of the gutter on low end was probably 4" below the shingle. I'm thinking basically I want my high end to be right up agaist the drip edge, and the low edge maybe 2" below the shingle?

I set this up for 1/2" drop per 10', but I think 1/4" would look much better.

The big question is, where should the outer bead of the gutter be in relation to the pitch line of the roof? And, where does the back edge of the gutter want to be in relation to the drip edge? Just slightly behind the drip edge?

I took everything down and plan on redoing this in the spring, or if we get another warmish day in the Northeast.

The good news, everything is much easier than I was expecting it to. I used a mapp torch on the sweats, and it worked out OK with minimal discoloration.
For nailing in the brackets, I had my dad hold a putty knife on top of the nail, and I drove the nail in with a piece of mahogany placed on top of the shingle. It worked extremely well.

Thank you for any common sense advice here.

edit: just wanted to mention there are two runs of 20' and 28', meeting at an outside corner. one of the gutters is 20' long, so the long length makes it rather impossible to hold up in place for layout purposes.

Last edited by wombosi; 12-03-2009 at 03:16 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement