Help An Idiot Build A Home Office Shed... - Building & Construction - Page 18 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree56Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #256
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I hear talk of walls up, etc....but no offers of visual proof.
The advise does come with a small fee around here....where's the PICS?

Aww man, you busted me! I still haven't poured the concrete. I'm a lazy, worthless shadow of a man and should lose my man-card.


Nealtw likes this.
GrapeApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #257
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Rain got me today guys. The headers are in, jack studs are in, and the king studs are in.

Should I put two king studs on the windows and door or is that unnecessary?

Sorry Pugsey, but as of right now nothing's changed from the last panorama shot I took earlier except for the king studs I bought today.

All i've got left right now is (possibly) extra king studs on the windows, the top plate, and braces. I love rain for the garden, but it sure isn't making this job easier. We're forecasted to get three days of rain.
GrapeApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #258
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 3,994
Rewards Points: 1,152
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
And here’s what I have now

This is the last pic I saw.
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #259
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 22,050
Rewards Points: 11,986
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
Rain got me today guys. The headers are in, jack studs are in, and the king studs are in.

Should I put two king studs on the windows and door or is that unnecessary?

Sorry Pugsey, but as of right now nothing's changed from the last panorama shot I took earlier except for the king studs I bought today.

All i've got left right now is (possibly) extra king studs on the windows, the top plate, and braces. I love rain for the garden, but it sure isn't making this job easier. We're forecasted to get three days of rain.

One king is all that is called for. Most of the weight transfers to the jacks under the header.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.

Last edited by Nealtw; 04-29-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
GrapeApe (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #260
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


To keep the thread updated, I'm almost at $3000 spent so far, with a large chunk of that being the 2 day skid steer rental for $600 bucks.

Total so far $2956.60

And I still have to pay for doors and windows
Nealtw likes this.
GrapeApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:32 PM   #261
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 22,050
Rewards Points: 11,986
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
To keep the thread updated, I'm almost at $3000 spent so far, with a large chunk of that being the 2 day skid steer rental for $600 bucks.

Total so far $2956.60

And I still have to pay for doors and windows
We will have some thing to go over when you have a description of the angles in your head you are less likely to screw it up when you get to the saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Help an idiot build a home office shed...-grape-7.png  
laostrich likes this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #262
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
We will have some thing to go over when you have a description of the angles in your head you are less likely to screw it up when you get to the saw.

Ok all that looks like greek to me. I'm glad you're here!

That front wall weighs a TON. i still haven't got it up, but mainly because of the rain. It still hasn't stopped raining here and we're calling for more tomorrow. Maybe, just maybe Saturday afternoon will be dry. We'll see.

So when I'm anchoring these walls to the floor beams, how is the best way to do it? Right now i'm thinking I'll use structural screws (big thick screws made by grk) but if there's a better way I should probably know what it is.
GrapeApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #263
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 22,050
Rewards Points: 11,986
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
Ok all that looks like greek to me. I'm glad you're here!

That front wall weighs a TON. i still haven't got it up, but mainly because of the rain. It still hasn't stopped raining here and we're calling for more tomorrow. Maybe, just maybe Saturday afternoon will be dry. We'll see.

So when I'm anchoring these walls to the floor beams, how is the best way to do it? Right now i'm thinking I'll use structural screws (big thick screws made by grk) but if there's a better way I should probably know what it is.
Just 2 nails or if you are doing screws every 16". usually you aim for joists and rims but you have beams so you won't miss and then a couple toe nailed thru the plate below the jack studs. you want that solid because the carry the weight of the swinging door.


Have you given much thought how the roof will look when done.

Normally I would put one rafter on each end and then build to it
If you haven't we can fake it with just a sample 2x4 or something
Attached Thumbnails
Help an idiot build a home office shed...-grap-1.png   Help an idiot build a home office shed...-grap-2.png  
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.

Last edited by Nealtw; 05-09-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #264
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Just 2 nails or if you are doing screws every 16". usually you aim for joists and rims but you have beams so you won't miss and then a couple toe nailed thru the plate below the jack studs. you want that solid because the carry the weight of the swinging door.


Have you given much thought how the roof will look when done.

Normally I would put one rafter on each end and then build to it
If you haven't we can fake it with just a sample 2x4 or something

That roof idea sounds fine. I just wanted it slanted with shingles on it.

But...I've run into a pretty big problem. Me and the family (all kids and girls) tried to raise the front wall today and failed. It's too dang heavy.
I can get it up, and get under it, but I can't raise it over 7" tall in the air or I run out of room (doorway) and can't push it up any higher so the center of gravity is still way over me, instead of over the wall studs.

How do you guys get them up in the air when they're so heavy?


Last edited by GrapeApe; 05-11-2019 at 09:15 PM.
GrapeApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #265
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 22,050
Rewards Points: 11,986
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


You should be able to rent a pair of wall jacks. The use a 2x4 and work like old fashion bumper jacks
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Guardian...2601/203205593
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #266
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You should be able to rent a pair of wall jacks. The use a 2x4 and work like old fashion bumper jacks
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Guardian...2601/203205593

Brilliant! I'm going to buy one. I think one is all I'll need since this is just 12' long.
Nealtw likes this.
GrapeApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #267
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 22,050
Rewards Points: 11,986
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
Brilliant! I'm going to buy one. I think one is all I'll need since this is just 12' long.
All my years and sometime with walls 40 ft long, never needed them.

It would be pretty dicey with one. If one side slides out you are in a world of trouble. Rig ropes or something to both sides bottom so they can't get away.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #268
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
All my years and sometime with walls 40 ft long, never needed them.

It would be pretty dicey with one. If one side slides out you are in a world of trouble. Rig ropes or something to both sides bottom so they can't get away.

One is supposed to lift 1000 lbs. How did you lift them up being 40 ft long?
GrapeApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:20 PM   #269
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 22,050
Rewards Points: 11,986
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
One is supposed to lift 1000 lbs. How did you lift them up being 40 ft long?
More people.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:28 PM   #270
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Re: Help an idiot build a home office shed...


Haha! Ok, well I made as many of those as I could. They just haven't had time to get tall yet

I'll get it up as soon as the wall jack gets here.
GrapeApe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone on here DIY an entire home build? Looking for advise in Idaho RUMBLON General DIY Discussions 22 07-04-2017 04:50 PM
Lean to shed Fantom Building & Construction 1 07-07-2014 05:20 PM
Planning to build my dream home Maverick Wolfe Building & Construction 15 01-24-2014 04:45 PM
Bad idea to build a wood shed in the rainy season? mudworm Building & Construction 3 12-22-2010 11:08 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts