Help With Compressor Size - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with compressor size

My husband's birthday is next week and I'm looking to purchase a compressor for him. He's partial to Dewalt tools and would be using it mostly for trimwork, building cabinets and framing. What would you recommend? Thank you!
nitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

nithc13,
The one thing that caught my eye was Framing. If he will doing light framing here and there a pancake style compressor would be fine. I use a Porter Cable pancake with my framing nailer without a problem, but this is only light framing. I also have a 35 gal. compressor when the job requires it.

My go to compressor is my pancake. It does 95% of my jobs around the house.

Hope this helps.
NASCAR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 230

Nitch, from what you described, you are probably looking for something, as NASCAR mentioned, that is commonly known as a pancake air compressor, so named for the shape of the tank. But, it doesn't have to be a "pancake", as there are some that have cylindrical tanks, and even double cylindrical tanks, all of which accomplish the same thing. The main thing, in order to do framing and trim work is portability, in order to carry it to your or a neighbors back yard for a deck or addition, or up the stairs to a bedroom. And, just FYI, while not their primary use, yes, although shop compressors are equipped with larger capacity tanks, these units will work if you have a tire that needs air. In the U.S., you obviously want a 115 volt model, and to power a framing nailer, you want something in the vicinity of 8-10 cfm (cubic feet per minute) at 90 P.S.I. (pounds per square inch). That said, there are a lot to choose from. Dewalt certainly makes them, and I happen to prefer a lot of my Dewalt tools over other brands, but I would not limit myself to their brand of air compressor. I thought about looking up some specific Dewalt models numbers for you, but I'm sure that not all big box stores, lumber yards, etc. carry the same exact models, so since you probably want to get it this week, you should probably talk with one or more of the stores in your area, and see what they have in the range to meet the needs of the tools that you mentioned. My wife has been great about finding neat things like this for me over the years, and I have found out later that she has talked with, and has even met one of my coworkers or other acquaintances at the store, to help her pick out the right tool; just a suggestion.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement