Help With Basement Stairs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Help with Basement Stairs

Hello, I am in the process of redoing my basement. This includes finishing the stairs and adding a wall on one side. currently my stairs just have treads and are cut past the stringers. my idea is to cut off the overhang of the current treads and add a plywood riser. I will then finish the stairs with a oak vaneer tread (simpletread) and riser. the wall will be going up on the right side of the stairs as you walk down, should i add a finish stringer to close in the stairs? any gotchas or ideas you can pass on to me will be a great help. thanks for your time!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Basement Stairs-20131130_155338.jpg   Help with Basement Stairs-20131130_154836.jpg  
audis$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 260

Check to see if there will be a difference in height in the rise of the first and last step if you were to add to the top of the tread. If so it would be best to remove the 2xs in shim or what ever it takes to insure each rise is the same. If someone were to fall on stairs where they were out of code, insurance will not pay. Also when selling your house they may make you correct them then. That call is up to you.

What I would do for the wall is build under the stringer with the 2X4s flush with the outside edge, that way you can install sheet rock on the wall and stringer with no trouble. Then you can member the risers in with the skirt board and continue on with your install.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #3

Thanks Jim! I will check the stairs but i believe they all measure out to be the same. As far as the wall. This will not be a half wall but one that goes all the way to the top extending past the stairs.. i can get a few more pictures to try and explain it better.
The Following User Says Thank You to audis$ For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #4

so i measured each individual stairs rise, and the rise from the first to the last stair is 7" that means that adding a new finished tread will throw the top and bottom stair off 3/4". is that within code? does it have to be exact? any ideas? I would like to do this right the first time.

thanks!
Alex
Old 12-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 64

You need to be within 3/8" to meet code. Take a look at picture #11 in this guide. http://www.precisionstairsystems.com...copy_1__1_.pdf
Old 12-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

In Tennessee it is 1/4 inch, I had to tear one out because it was 3/8 out several years back. Thanks for the stair code, some of those are different from Tennessee code, or the inspectors just wanted to be difficult.

Jim
Old 12-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by audis$ View Post
so i measured each individual stairs rise, and the rise from the first to the last stair is 7" that means that adding a new finished tread will throw the top and bottom stair off 3/4". is that within code? does it have to be exact? any ideas? I would like to do this right the first time.

thanks!
Alex
Stock treads are usually 1-1 1/8 inch thick. To make the stairs all the same just subtract the thickness of the tread you put on from 1 1/2 inches and shim to that thickness using plenty of glue and construction adhesive.

Just another note, if you plan to run the wall all the way up to the ceiling be sure to add a 2X4 nailer flush to the bottom of the stringer as a spacer. You will be glad you did when you go to install sheet rock and the skirt board on that side.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement