Header On New Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

header on new door

I have to put a new door in , the old one is 34" the new one is going to be 36". putting a new header so Do I have to put a temp wall to hold the load or is that small of a spand ok to just replace the header? Should i use 2x6 or 2x8 header? Above is bed rooms and the roof , I live in Boston so we have a good snow load 2. I know you can x2 size of the opening like(a 3' RO=2x6, 4'RO=2x8,5'RO=2x10.....) THANKS FOR THE HELP

Last edited by Boston Bean; 09-14-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Boston Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

You should have no problem with 2x6ís but like every engineer that I know always over sizes things to protect themselves so if you want, you can use 2x8ís if it will make you sleep at night.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

http://www.burlington.org/Building08/Spans.pdf

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #4

do you guy think i have to put a temp wall to hold the load? I've seen guys just replace the header but I like to do stuff the best way AND GUYS THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP....... THIS IS THE BEST SITE
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bean View Post
do you guy think i have to put a temp wall to hold the load? I've seen guys just replace the header but I like to do stuff the best way AND GUYS THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP....... THIS IS THE BEST SITE
It wouldn't take too long to slap up a temp wall. It's worth the reassurance that nothing moves.
luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
I have to put a new door in , the old one is 34" the new one is going to be 36". putting a new header so Do I have to put a temp wall to hold the load or is that small of a spand ok to just replace the header? Should i use 2x6 or 2x8 header? Above is bed rooms and the roof , I live in Boston so we have a good snow load 2. I know you can x2 size of the opening like(a 3' RO=2x6, 4'RO=2x8,5'RO=2x10.....) THANKS FOR THE HELP
Quote:
Originally Posted by epson [SIZE=3
You should have no problem with 2x6ís but like every engineer that I know always over sizes things to protect themselves so if you want, you can use 2x8ís if it will make you sleep at night.

Epson,

What the heck kind of advice is that to give? He has a second floor and roof load above this opening and you have no idea what that is and your telling him to use 2x6's for a header. You have no idea what your talking about and that is dangerous advice especially if this person listens to you.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 09-19-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
You need to know if the wall is load bearing or not. If it's a load bearing wall, put up walls on both sides if the ceiling framing members meet above. Peel off the sheetrock and look at the header size you have now. That will give you an idea what you will need. Don't make the header any smaller then what you have now. Considering the material cost of one, 8' 2 x "whatever", you can put in a 2x12 if you have the room. How much more are you spending if the current header is a 2x8?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Epson,

What the heck kind of advice is that to give? He has a second floor and roof load above this opening and you have no idea what that is and your telling him to use 2x6's for a header. You have no idea what your talking about and that is dangerous advice especially if this person listens to you.
Before flapping your gums check out the tables: http://www.burlington.org/Building08/Spans.pdf
and I also said he could use 2x8's for a header if it made him feel better.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 148

I'd do as Ron mentioned, don't go smaller than whats there. If you've never done this before, get the RO for the door you will put in before you start cutting.
A 36" door "usually" needs a 38" hole - you can always fill back in.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You need to know if the wall is load bearing or not. If it's a load bearing wall, put up walls on both sides if the ceiling framing members meet above. Peel off the sheetrock and look at the header size you have now. That will give you an idea what you will need. Don't make the header any smaller then what you have now. Considering the material cost of one, 8' 2 x "whatever", you can put in a 2x12 if you have the room. How much more are you spending if the current header is a 2x8?
Ron
Ron its a front door
Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Ron its a front door
Then the outside stud wall can be balsa wood.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement