Has Anyone Ever Used Tigerfoam? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Has anyone ever used tigerfoam?

Has anyone ever D.I.Y. used tigerfoam closed cell spray insulation, to seal the floor joist in a crawlspace, is it the best way to go ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sure, maybe not that particular brand but smallish two-part polyurethane spray foam kits. And DIY-sizes too.

Our insulation contractors have a sort-of 1000 board-feet minimum to make it profitable for them so anything under that is the domain of these two-part kits. A 600 board-ft kit goes for around $600, a 200 board-ft kit for $300, so well within the average DIY project.

With all the protective gear, waste and inefficiency and stuff, it comes out to about the same for a contractor or a DIYer on small projects. There's a good reason why they give you so many nozzles but the experienced small contractor can provide a useful add-on if he's experienced in using those kits.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 392

Unless you're really lucky it'll be an expensive learning curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Spray_Foam_Insulation

What would a single level partial basement + crawlspace home @ 1232 square feet cost to spray with closed cell foam [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]between the floor joist[/COLOR], [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]and at the joist headers, [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]With an additional quote for and if cost permits I would like to have the closed cell foam sprayed on the concrete wall to about 18 inches from the ground level down to where the frost line is here, we are by the sea, so the frost line never gets below 18 inches past ground level here.[/COLOR][/COLOR] the [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]crawlspace is about 610 sq ft[/COLOR], joist are 2x8 , but joist are not evenly spaced in crawlspace. Around the outside edge of the crawlspace, there is about 4 ft clearance all around. In the center about 3 ft.

Thank you
Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

I have used two part polyurethane spray foam insulation kits from Foam It Green. I bought the 602 board feet kits, which worked great to seal the attic floor (backside of drywall ceiling below. Then I blew cellulose insulation over the top to get the high R value. I would at least recommend going to the Foam It Green website to watch their videos. By far, their videos are better than any other of the kit websites that I've found. Let me know if you have specific questions. I've only sprayed the foam on this one project.

One thing to keep in mind is that these kits are very tempermental. For example the kits must be sprayed within a temperature range of 60-80 F. That means that the tanks and hoses must be within that range as well as the stable surface temperature of the object being foamed. If not the chemicals do not mix properly in the correct proportions. They also do not cure properly. Temperature seems to be the biggest issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread