Hanging Roof Joists From Timber Beam - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Hanging Roof Joists from Timber Beam

Hi

I have seen some similar threads but not quite what i'm doing.
I have taken the advice in these threads as part of my planning but im hoping there may be someone who can advise me further

I am removing a wall approx 1m wide that is supporting my roof joists.
As if is only small and right next to the external load baring wall, i am planning to install a timber beam(joist) to hang the other joists from.

I have modeled this to explain so please take a look.

All internal walls are 100mm blockwork

Blue- new beam (47x200) 3m
green - load baring wall
red- to be removed.

There is only one truss in the loft on the middle joist, non near the wall.

My main concern is that the joist I am using to hang from 47mm x 200mm seems OK in the Trada span tables but looks like it might tilt easily even with alternate sided joist hangers? shall I bolt 2 together do you think to make it 94mm wide? or is bolting 2 together a bad idea as it puts the strain on the bolt when they alternate?

obviously i plan to hang first then knock the wall out

Any advice/questions welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Hanging Roof Joists from Timber Beam-1.jpg   Hanging Roof Joists from Timber Beam-2.jpg   Hanging Roof Joists from Timber Beam-3.jpg   Hanging Roof Joists from Timber Beam-4.png  
RaeRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,092

Re: Hanging Roof Joists from Timber Beam

Are you sure you haven't got trusses. Take a picture of the structure of the roof in the attic.
Bud9051 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

Hi,
There is one single truss in the middle. I marked it with a pink X in one of the images, sorry if that was unclear!
It is a 1950's house, it is a closed coupled roof with the wooden binder along the joists as in the picture below, with one single truss (same as in the second picture) and this is on the middle joist

(ignore the sizes on these images, though they are probably not far off as they are from a website explaining typical post-war roof construction)

My house is quite small it is only about 6mx6m square in total

Thanks
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
retired framer

I would sooner see your beam over the bearing wall even if you have to sister a new joist or two the make them each that far.
Then you beam would be much shorter and could be a double 2x10.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

Your suggestion has just made me realise i have actually misplaced the hatch slightly.
I'm not able to put it on the load baring wall as the hatch opening interrupts it.

The image below is more accurate.

That is why i have tried to get as close as the existing wall im knocking down (cant go in the exact same place as all the boiler pipes run along that area fixed to loft board)

It is quite troubling actually that the joists surrounding the hatch- same as in my images - do not seem to be supported by anything other than a door opening on one side (no steel/concrete lintel it is wood supporting block!)
Attached Thumbnails
Hanging Roof Joists from Timber Beam-hatch-update.jpg  
Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
retired framer

Then I would go on an angle just missing the hatch and landing above the bearing wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
load bearing , loft joist , roof joist , timber beam