DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hanging Heavy Sign Post - Into Brick or Mortar?

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  concretemasonry 
#1 ·
Hey,
Looking for advice for hanging a heavy sign post on the exterior of our brick store.

The sign post is about 20lbs or 10kg and the sign itself if about 42" x 24" solid cedar which is also about 20lbs or 10kg.

It will be hanging perpendicular off the wall - so it will be subject to windy conditions.

The sign post we bought has 4 holes for attaching it. I bought 1/2" lag bolts to connect it to the brick.

My question is, what is stronger/safer to drill in to? The actual brick or the mortar?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Stephen

#2 ·
Just an opinion, worth only its' weight in dirt, particularly on a commercial building, I would want it anchored into something more substantial than either the brick or the mortar. I believe that I would take some careful dimensions, in order be able to lag through a mortar joint into the framing, or I would remove the affected brick(s), and fabricate a bracket or brackets, which would attach to the framing. And, going one step further, again, it being a commercial building, I might hire a licensed contractor to do the work, from a liability standpoint. On the other hand, if you wanted to attach a small bracket for a flower vase, or something of that nature, I would molly it into the mortar.

#5 ·
2 forces you have to consider - 1 is shear & the other is pullout - we'd use 3/8" altho 5/16" may also work.

' masonry [ masonary ] screws ' defined as concrete screws ? we wouldn't have done that but they hadn't been invented yet,,, another point - any time 1 alters the manufacturer's directions, that equates to accepting design responsibility & ensuing liability for the changes.

don't drill the brick - they're hard & you'd need a hammer drill who's vibration would loosen other brickwork,,, 'sides, plywood rots, won't hold paint, & will look like hell detracting from your very fine sign's appearance.

#4 ·
Thanks DexterII and itsreallyconc,
Not sure I can get to the studs, but what I hear from both of you is to go into the mortar - not the bricks. I have s-hooks (no chain) to hang the sign to allow it to blow.

Not sure the terminology, but is Lead Shields and Lags - a lag bolt with a casing to expand inside the drilled hole like an expanding anchor? That's what I have, hope it's right.

Another person I talked to mentioned adding a piece of Plywood behind the Metal Plate of the Sign Post - Using it to not only go through the 4 lag bolts, but also being able to screw it all over the place using smaller Masonry Screws - essentially bolting it to the brick in way more contact points than just the 4 corners. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Stephen

#7 ·
Mortar is a better place to anchor to. It is more predictable since brick is highly variable and some brick are very soft and other may be very hard and brittle and may crack from an expansion type anchor when it is tightened.

The mortar is important since it is what holds the wall comprised of some sort of brick together and all wall ties and joint reinforcement goes into the mortar joint.

Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.