Hand Vs Power Compactor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

hand vs power compactor

Does a hand compactor (tamper) do as good/better/worse a job than a power compactor?

I could rent a small loader and a compactor to do a small garage project but then I could do it by hand and get the exercise. Our local building materials suppliers go on vacation leaving noone in the store during the summer months (go figure) so I might as well take advantage of the time and get some honest exercise. But, am I doing as good a job as if I hand a power compactor?

Allthunbs
Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 534

The plate (power) compacter does a far better job of compacting something like this. If you're set on using a hand tamper, at least soak the gravel very well after tamping & a few days before pouring concrete.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
The plate (power) compacter does a far better job of compacting something like this. If you're set on using a hand tamper, at least soak the gravel very well after tamping & a few days before pouring concrete.
Thanks for the insight. I'm looking for arms like Lou Feregno so I figured hand tamping would help. So far, gravel = "0", arms = "ouch!"

Allthunbs
Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 360

The plate compactor would do a far better job than hand tamping. It would also be much more evenly compacted and it makes compacting in layers more realistic. If you really need the workout consider pushing the plate compactor from and back to the rental company. Any hills will give you all the workout you'll need for days.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 844

This post is for posterity, and who ever might come across it:

Plate tampers operate at a high frequency (2000 impacts and over per minute) and low impact load (amplitudes are measured in millimeters). They're good for jostling gravel, aggregate, sand, asphalt, etc, into a compact bed.

Jumping jack tampers operate at a lower frequency (500 hits a minute), but higher impact load (amplitudes measured in inches), and are great for compacting soils (up to a point). If handled correctly, you can actually squeeze water out of clay type soils and produce a really good base material. You wouldn't be able to produce this result with a plate tamper.

Trench rollers are basically rolling plate tampers with more weight behind it, and are use to compact loose soils and fill. Amplitudes are measured in mm. They do make mechanized jumping jack rammers that would give Wile-E Coyote fits, but that's way beyond the scope of a DIY project.

The classic asphalt roller is a heavy (but not crazy heavy), rolling plate tamper, couple thousand hits and up, amplitude in mm.

A hand tamper is the ultimate low load, high amplitude, low volume manual device.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement