Good Or Disaster Waiting To Happen?b - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree33Likes

Old 12-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,502

Good or disaster waiting to happen?b

Kids talked me in to doing a backyard ice rink.. son plays hockey so he’s been asking m e for years...

So I followed some plans I found on a backyard rink site..

It’s 28’x38’.. issue is I have a 14” drop from the high corner to the low corner... so water will be a good 17” high on the low corner.. I used 2’ wide 1/2” cdx for the boards and have 2x2” stakes every 16” on the low end and and it gradually spaces out to every 2’ leading up to the high end... mending plates at ever seem and corner brackets at every corner... the plans I followed said 2’ wide spacing was good for the low end but 16” was easy enough...

I am considering adding some angled bracing to the low end.. staked with rebar into the ground..

any opinions if I am good with the 2x2 every 16” or will that just be a disaster and I have to do more bracing?

No I won’t hold anyone accountable if I have a blowout...
Dave Sal likes this.
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,784

Re: Good or disaster waiting to happen?b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansdiydad View Post
Kids talked me in to doing a backyard ice rink.. son plays hockey so hes been asking m e for years...

So I followed some plans I found on a backyard rink site..

Its 28x38.. issue is I have a 14 drop from the high corner to the low corner... so water will be a good 17 high on the low corner.. I used 2 wide 1/2 cdx for the boards and have 2x2 stakes every 16 on the low end and and it gradually spaces out to every 2 leading up to the high end... mending plates at ever seem and corner brackets at every corner... the plans I followed said 2 wide spacing was good for the low end but 16 was easy enough...

I am considering adding some angled bracing to the low end.. staked with rebar into the ground..

any opinions if I am good with the 2x2 every 16 or will that just be a disaster and I have to do more bracing?

No I wont hold anyone accountable if I have a blowout...

Drive another set of stakes 3 ft away in line with your first stakes
Cut another to fit between the top of yours to the bottom of the new.
Google used foam board and fill it with foam. and then poly.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
retired framer

Dave Sal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #4

Yep...I was going to do what u show in that pic with the angle brace rebar etc.. I think I’ll just do it... I’ll run a 2x4 along the back of the current stakes and run my angles every 4ft along that..

Thanks...
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,672

I think you'll be fine... I foot of water exerts less that 1/2 psi.... so you have about 3/4 psi at your low end..... as to leakage... that can occur... but you'll still be level
Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #6

Ok... I’ll start filling it and see how it goes... it takes hours to fill so not like I won’t have time to put the extra bracing on if I see signs of issues..

Thanks all..
Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2

Keep in mind....where is all that water going to flow in the spring?

Hopefully not yours or the neighbors basement!
Diy1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,084

blt those for the kids,,, shovel'd off the snow which became edging & laid down 6mil,,, ice has no lateral pressure once frozen
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 850

I tip my hat to you for being a dad who is going above and beyond for his kids. I used to play hockey every winter when growing up on the south side of Chicago. We had an empty lot across from a slag hill used by Wisconsin Steel to dump their slag. We'd flood the field at night using a fire hydrant and as long as the wind was relatively calm, we would come back to a perfect ice skating spot the next day. The area was probably 150' x 200'. A few times one of the workers for Wisconsin Steel would come by with a front end loader and use the bucket to clear snow for us and pile the snow into the shape of a rink, with a path to the fire hydrant. Great guy. We had so much fun and would be out there every day even if the temps were below 0. Good times.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Sal For This Useful Post:
ryansdiydad (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,784

Good on you for doing all that. If I read you post correctly, you are going to have 17" of water to freeze along one side? It's going to take some seriously cold weather to freeze that, and don't be surprised if you get cracking.

If you plan on doing it next year, I would consider trying to level the ground with some rigid styrofoam or something else (assuming that you can't permanently level it with sand). And perhaps look into a water service. It's a lot of water and that option might be cheaper than your metered water or easier on your well. Not to mention a whole lot faster.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,466

Anticipating the finished project with some action pics of course.
Dave Sal likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Good on you for doing all that. If I read you post correctly, you are going to have 17" of water to freeze along one side? It's going to take some seriously cold weather to freeze that, and don't be surprised if you get cracking.

If you plan on doing it next year, I would consider trying to level the ground with some rigid styrofoam or something else (assuming that you can't permanently level it with sand). And perhaps look into a water service. It's a lot of water and that option might be cheaper than your metered water or easier on your well. Not to mention a whole lot faster.
Ive never done it before but most say you only need a 4 thick layer of ice on top for skating... like skating on a pond.. or some people freeze it in layers.. but yeah it will likely take me a week to get a solid surface.. once the 4 top is solid ya flood it with warm water or homeboni it to create a smooth surface like a rink..

Assuming the kids actually use it.. next year will be a different setup... i wil make some angle braces.. pounding in all thats stakes sucked..

I will also be hunting for some cheap foam to fill in the low spots.. that is a solid idea.. this year I kind wanted to go lighter in the expense in case it doesnt work out... apart from the tarp I had a lot of the stuff I needed already,..

I got the water level up to 9 on the low end.. still need to get that up 17.. I like to tell myself that its half full... hahaha.. I wish... Ill need to remember to hide the water bill from the wife...

Will see how much ice I get by tomorrow evening and either fill it up the rest of the way or let this first fill freeze up all the way...

Read another interesting idea from a guy that says he would drop a pump in the deepest end to pump up the water under the ice which helps you avoid issues if you fill in stages... might try that out...

There is a nature park behind the house so risk of doing any major damage to a neighbors house is none thankfully... in the spring Ill pump it down the drain pipe for the sump or maybe just water the park a bit... or convert it to a koi pond
lenaitch likes this.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
retired framer

Re level the yard next spring.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #14

Yeah I got an area that bulged a bit so I stopped the fill about 4" short.. it's a spot that was a bit suspect to begin with.. will put in braciing and finish the fill tonight... just in time for the warm weather next week..
Old 12-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #15

Got the bulge braced up... not sure I needed to as the weight on each stake really isn't that high.. I could push it back up pretty easily.. but it looks safer now at least

I am now making ice... got about 1/2-3/4" of ice now.. just from last night.. will let it freeze all day then layer it a bit on tonight.. next few days couple get me to the ice depth I need before it warms up a bit next week..

Only problem now is I seem to have a small leak... it's visually imperceptible when looking at the water level this morning vs last night it doesn't appear any different.. but I do have a little bit of water outside the deep end.. I looked for where it is leaking but couldn't find it... will see how it plays out.. hopefully it freezes itself shut or I just have to battle the water levels a bit all season..
Attached Thumbnails
Good or disaster waiting to happen?b-img_2476.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement