Garage Loft - Ledger To Ledger Joists Or Top Plate - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Garage Loft - Ledger to Ledger Joists or Top Plate

First time post-er - long time lurker/reader. Thanks in advance for any/all questions and comments/suggestions.

I am working up plans for a garage loft. We have a cape cod style home with a high peak to the garage roof. The previous owners attached some plywood to the existing roof joists - but they are far from adequate for anything more than light - super lightweight storage as the joists are simply functioning as ties. They are 2x4x18.5'. They shouldn't have any weight on them at that span - so I want to remedy that.

The plan is to run 2x10x18.5 joists 16" OC across the full span of the garage and then attach them to the two walls. The original thought was to run two Ledgers down the length of each sidewall secured with LedgerLok to the 2x4 wall studs and then hang the 2x10 joists via Simpson joist hangers and 10d common nails.

The only problem with this plan is that the current 2x4 joists (they are spaced every 6 feet) are secured to the top plate of the wall. So if I snug the Ledger to the top of the wall and hang my joist hangers I'll end up with the top of the new 2x10 joists sitting 3.5" below the existing joists. I'd like to sister up to them and keep that as the new loft floor height. The loft floor will be 5/8" Tongue and Groove Plywood.

Seemingly I have two options:

Option A: to Install the Ledger lower down on wall so that the new 2x10 Joists sit ON TOP of the Ledger and secure them to the Ledger with Hurricane Ties and then install blocking between joists to prevent lateral shift.

Option B: hang the joist hangers high on the Ledger so the joists sit 3.5" High off the Ledger to line up with existing 2x4 sitting on wall top plate.

The loft will primarily be for garage storage of household miscellaneous. Xmas decos/old tubs of baby clothes/camping gear etc. No engine parts or national geographic collections.

I've attached a couple of photos of the actual joists and a 'crude' drawing of the potential options. (the electrical will be removed and then rerouted after loft install is complete)

Please let me know if one of these is the 'right' track - or if both are 'wrong'.

I welcome any and all feedback. Thanks a million in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Loft - Ledger to Ledger Joists or Top Plate-garage-joists-front.jpg   Garage Loft - Ledger to Ledger Joists or Top Plate-inkedinkedgarage-joists-front-sitting-proud_li.jpg   Garage Loft - Ledger to Ledger Joists or Top Plate-inkedinkedgarage-joists-front_li-sitting-top.jpg  
ryanmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
framing , ledger board , loft , loft joist