Garage Door Replacement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage door replacement

hi guys, this is my first post on this board. Hi to everyone and thanks for having such a great forum.

My house was built in the early 1980s. One of the two springs on my spring-assisted garage door system is broken. It is a system such that the entire door opens at once rather than folding like the newer counterpart. The springs are in tension when door is closed and contract to help the opener during operation.

Instead of replacing the spring, I am going to replace it all together. Where should I shop for garage doors and should this be something left to the "professionals" ? I am somewhat confident that this would be an easy do it yourself project. Please give me advice on WHERE to buy garage doors, and if i should tackle this myself. thanks and have a good weekend everyone.

Hoang
hoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Yes it can be done by a DIYer. Where to buy is going to depend on how much you want to spend. You will need a complete track system. They can be bought from the big box stores to custom door companies.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

May I offer this from experience: IF you buy a door unit that has the rotational door spring(s) mounted on a shaft at the top of the door--be very careful when winding up this spring. IF you do not use the proper sized bars to fit into the holes on the winding mechanism (they don't come with the door) they will slip and beat you half to death. New, sectional garage doors can be a DIY project, but I highly suggest you have competent help all throughout the project. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I installed my Temp garage doors - sectional 9' x 7' tall
Sectional is easier, springs installed after its raised
A one piece door will be quite heavy if that is what you are going with

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

This past spring I had 5 new garage doors put up by a local door company 2 16'x7', 1 9'x8' and 2 10'x12' including liftmaster 3800 openers on the 2 10'x12' with windows in 1 panel on each door for a total of $7k. I got a great price on my doors. I watched them put them up and I would not do it myself. The torsion springs can kill you if something happens when winding them. These are the doors I got http://www.haasdoor.com/gold_edition.html
I love these new doors.
Plumbvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 360

I replaced two garage doors several years ago and found some local guys that did that kind of work in the phone book. Most were less than the price from HD and Lowes. I ended up getting a much better doors than I would have at the big box stores and paid less. The cost of the install was not enough for me to do it myself.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement