Garage Conversion-Subfloor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 818

Garage Conversion-Subfloor

Our attached garage will become a bedroom/bathroom. The garage sits about 3 ft below the level of the house. On the side of the garage where the house and garage meet, the concrete block foundation of the house extends up.

I need to attach a ledger (basically building a deck) a few inches off the garage floor so that plumbing and insulation can be added. My question is, can I attach the ledger to concrete block? I assume the block is hollow.

If not, is there another solution? (Could I build a 2x4 wall and attach the ledger to that?)
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

How detailed were the approved plans on the ledger attachment?

Be safe, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #3

The plans I submitted did not include info. on a ledger. Last night I rethought all of this. Tell me if you think this is reasonable.

I will lay 6mm poly, followed by p.t. 2x4 sleepers that will run the perimeter of the floor and also down the center. Then, in between each 2x4 section I will lay by foam board (polyiso...) taping and sealing all joints. Next I will run the joists perpendicular across the sleepers and attaching them to the perimeter walls. This would allow me to insulate the floor and not have to use a ledger (or load bearing ledger) along the concrete block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

as long as you dont mind slope in floor will work.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,016

I always caution to ensure garage coversions are permitted and blessed by the local building department. Many places have very specific requirements and can be very ugly if not permitted and found later. Where I live, code enforcement actively looks for unpermitted garage conversions.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #6

The conversion has been approved by our building inspector.

I haven't found how out of level the floor is. I just planned on shimming either the sleepers or the joists to level everything. It's an older garage and doesn't have the typical slope of newer garages. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the floor is fairly level within an inch or so across the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement