Garage Ceiling Storage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Ceiling Storage

I have a two car garage with the door being on the wall that runs parallel with the gutters (I'm sure there's a better way to say that...) and I want to finish out the ceiling so I can store stuff above it. We just bought the house and previous owner put some random boards and crap up there.

My current plan is to remove boards from the previous owner and just add more joists the same dimension as the ties that are currently there. Does this seem reasonable?

My other concern is the load this will put on the walls. Do I need to reinforce them somehow? What about the wall that has the garage door built in to it?

Pictures attached. TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Ceiling Storage-img_2347.jpg   Garage Ceiling Storage-img_2348.jpg   Garage Ceiling Storage-img_2349.jpg  
jdimari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,940

Re: Garage Ceiling Storage

You only have what looks like 2 X 4 joist up there that where never intend to be top loaded like that.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,180

The wall are fine but the joists won't take it.
We had an engineer with the idea that a double 2x10 joist system would span a 20 ft garage. The floor sagged under it;s own weight over a couple weeks. It was down about 1 1 1/2" and we had to put beams in under that. But we had room above the big door to work that in.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I believe they are 2x6's, not 2x4's and are only serving as ties so I wouldn't store anything up there as is.

As for it sagging under its' own weight. Could I add some boards coming down from the ridgeline to hold it up in the center? Or will that cause other issues?
jdimari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,472

The ceiling is currently a hodgepodge of joists, cross members, and plywood and in a poor condition to be expanding for more storage.

The idea that you want to store "stuff" up there has little to do with code requirements. Building codes want at least a minimum of safety as the next person's stuff might be more and heavier than what you are planning on.

Settle on a plan and pull your permits so what you build will be safe and approved by your town.

More pictures and we can help with that plan.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
attic , garage , garage ceiling , workshop