Garage Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Ceiling

(noob first house excuse my lack of terminology and lack of knowledge)

I want to insulate and put drywall and add a ceiling with a attic ladder to store holiday decorations and baby memory stuff. My garage is a two car garage 23 ft in length and 20 ft in width. MY tusses are all spread 4 ft apart except the first one which is 5 feet away. Total of 4 trusses currently My uncle wants to add three or possibly four trusses copying the same design that's already there. The problem 3 out of 4 of the corners in the garage has a 2 x 4 going at angle connecting the corners of the garage and there in the way to hang drywall. And were unsure if its safe to cut them. Will adding more trusses allow me to hang drywall, insulate and store?

these are the corner connectors I a referring to

heres a shot of the current design of the garage

bigjerry916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjerry916 View Post
I want to insulate and put drywall and add a ceiling

garage 23 ft in length and 20 ft in width.
tusses are all spread 4+ ft apart...
Total of 4 trusses currently

Will adding more trusses allow me to hang drywall, insulate and store?
You need more nailing surface to attach the drywall to...
that framing, and the drywall weight, needs to be well supported.

Trusses are about accomplishing that without using beams or columns.

Unless the storage plan is meant for the ENTIRE ceiling area then only
the area immediately around the hatch area needs to be built to support that weight. (btw dont put in a stair; use a ladder the 2X a year you get stuff down)
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjerry916
The problem 3 out of 4 of the corners in the garage has a 2 x 4 going at angle connecting the corners of the garage and there in the way
You have a hip roof over the garage door. It looks like the 2x4s are preventing that wall from bowing out. That area needs to be properly trussed or tied back if the 2x4s are removed. Ceiling framing in that area will be perpendicular to the garage door.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #4

It's doable.
We once started with this...

Note the same little diagonals over in the corner.
And ended with this...

The corner diagonals are there to prevent your wall from bowing out, i.e keep it nice and square. You can remove them, but you should put in the new joists that you can before taking those out. Eventually, your joists will provide this front to back link preventing the walls from bowing.

Your joists should be securely attached to the front and back wall top plates and to the rafters to ensure this linkage. Use nail plates where you can, and if you're in a seismic zone or hurricane zone then put a hurricane tie on every joist to prevent them from pulling up.

Edit: As MJ pointed out, you do have a hip roof. A bit of extra complexity we didn't have with a gable... That will require being pulled back too. He's got some good suggestions.

Last edited by SquishyBall; 05-03-2013 at 10:37 AM.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

A firm rule! No, never, ever cut any trusses, anywhere. Don't drill through them either.

Don't do it!

These angle pieces are effectively acting as structural "trussing" to keep the garage door wall straight. If you can duplicate them at a little higher level BEFORE removing them, then you will have disturbed nothing. But do not just take them out.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-03-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,220

You did not mention putting a plywood or other floor above the lower chord of the trusses. You can not put weight on the drywall, so what exactly are you trying to do? You can probably run a header between the lower chord of two trusses and run a couple of supports back to a sidewall and install 3/4 inch plywood make a small platform to store your doodads. You may want to double up the two trusses that are carrying the load.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

Two solutions for the hip roof area; 1- build jack trusses in that area or 2-frame your ceiling perpendicular to the garage door and place the angled 2x4s above the ceiling joist and fasten securely. The first truss will have to be doubled up to support that new ceiling framing.

If you will be heating your garage now you must allow for proper venting in the attic area. Your walls and ceiling will need vapor barrier if your location calls for that.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ Force For This Useful Post:
SquishyBall (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #8

mj force

thanks for all replies and not the contact a engineer response. Also thanks for the guy who supplied some pictures that helped a lot with more of a visual.

so by going perpendicular would this work? Also my garage is a two car garage with a rear single car garage. Should of mentioned that earlier. The garage you see in the picture below is my rear garage, The one in the front is the same except it has the angled 2x4 on each side of the garage.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #9

jagans

I was thinking of cutting up some osb and putting it up there. I have some Christmas decorations right now in two plastic totes which will realistically grow every year as my son gets older. I don't plan to store anything else but the holiday decorations. I'm trying to get the ceiling situated first I have additional floor to ceiling cabinets that are pictured for additional storage. Then hopefully next summer ill have my garage built to store more crap and the yard equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement