Garage Building 2nd Floor. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mark sr

Old 10-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 110

Garage building 2nd floor.

We're in the process of acquiring 3 acres semi-rural property, in the county. There's a house, barn and a detached 25x25 garage. So I contacted the GC that did the garage to find out how much $$ to put a second floor on the garage cause the house is a little small.
No frills, just usage AC space with a deck over the drive. 50K, ouch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ChuckTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,136

Re: Garage building 2nd floor.

Not sure where you are located or how the existing building was constructed. To convert to living space including plumbing, electrical, and heat/ac can involve a lot.

Can you get any pictures inside and out?

Example, if it uses trusses for the ceiling and attic they are almost useless when upgrading.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,824

Also the footing for the garage might not be enough for a 2nd floor. Lots of things can drive up the price ..... and you always want to get multiple bids.
Bud9051 likes this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
Nealtw (10-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,198

Trusses aren't bad, have a crane set the roof on the ground in three pieces. build the floor and walls have a crane back to replace the roof. Schedule the roofer for day three.25 feet might be a stretch for joists maybe have to be truss style.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,136

Neal, I have to admit that approach never crossed my mind, but upon further thinking I have to conclude "not me". We actually don't know if the bid was for a cape using the existing attic or if it was for as you suggested a full second story.

But removing the roof assembly would be no small task and I would want a contractor who has experience doing that. Note, I've never seen it done in any of my circles. Maybe my circles are too small.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Neal, I have to admit that approach never crossed my mind, but upon further thinking I have to conclude "not me". We actually don't know if the bid was for a cape using the existing attic or if it was for as you suggested a full second story.

But removing the roof assembly would be no small task and I would want a contractor who has experience doing that. Note, I've never seen it done in any of my circles. Maybe my circles are too small.

Bud
I have never done it but I have seen it done. We have people here that set up a level area on the ground and build sections of roof and have the crane put them up.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #7

The estimate is $ 49,750, from the original builder's company, to remove roof structure and replace with box trusses, lay subfloor, build walls and deck then new roof. Access is by outside stairs to deck and west facing door. No plumbing. Split system AC, minimal windows, Hardie board exterior, insulate walls and ceiling, electrical and drywall. GC is calling it a "game room" so permits and inspectors won't expect kitchen, bed, etc. Current roof is Gable east and west. We will put in trim and vinyl plank flooring then paint. Probably install closet space for seasonal item storage and I'll need table and desks, etc.
I wondered if roof could be salvaged but shingles and decking is nothing special. We have home inspection scheduled for next week. I should be able to post pixs then.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #8
retired framer

I would save the roof because re and re the old roof with a crane would be faster than either pulling the old down or installing new never mind the cost of new.

Add to your list the floor will want to be insulated and drywall from below with 5/8 drywall with at least 2 coats of filler on the seams.
You have to protect anything that could be living space from auto off gasses.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would save the roof because re and re the old roof with a crane would be faster than either pulling the old down or installing new never mind the cost of new.

Add to your list the floor will want to be insulated and drywall from below with 5/8 drywall with at least 2 coats of filler on the seams.
You have to protect anything that could be living space from auto off gasses.
Yep, missed that. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #10

The local realtor called yesterday. The owner withdrew the listing! WTF! Whole thing smells. We made a full price offer. Maybe that was a mistake, we were too eager.
The owner, either widow or divorcee, _was_ (couple years ago) an agent and office manager in the same real estate firm and the listing had been on and off the market 4-5 times in recent past.
She claimed her mother objected because she would be moving in with Mom with all her furniture.
Lame or worse.
If she reverses again ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement