Garage Builders Not Up To Par? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By joed
  • 1 Post By KHouse75
  • 3 Post By ClarenceBauer

Old 07-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Garage builders not up to par?

The contractors I hired to build my garage have been given me a few issues lately. They gave me a quote for building the frost wall and also for the framing of the garage. When it got time to finish the frost wall they told me that I was responsible for paying the backfill which I thought would have been included with the price of the foundation. I paid it reluctantly. Now as the garage framing is being built they told me that laying down the subfloor for the Loft in the garage was going to be extra, as well. They knew up front that I was putting attic trusses in and gave me the quote but now that's going to be an additional charge. They also said they didn't know that there were Windows going in and that would also be extra even though I showed him a photo of the design up front. So I started scrutinizing the framing that they have built to date. It took them 3 hours to put up the framing for the main floor of the garage. They put Tyvek wrap Around everything but I noticed that the corners looked a little odd. When I cut it back I could see that the sheathing was not flush with each other. They had put the sheeting on the framing while it was on the ground and then put it up but the corners do not meet. granted there is going to be siding over everything but I'm concerned that this is not up to standard. I also noticed that the sill seal was off of the foundation for about a 48 in Span and the framing for the entry door was also hanging off of the foundation by about an inch in one spot. The same contractors built a porch on the side of my house on the same day that they framed the garage and part of the footing is missing a good chunk. These things concern me but I'm not sure I should be worried about it. I was wondering what everybody thinks about this? Should I be concerned to bring this up to the contractors? I'm not happy that they keep trying to nickel-and-dime me when some of these things I thought should be included. They also told me they weren't going to install the garage door at the last second when I thought that would be included. I thought I was getting a completed garage. I'm really not satisfied right now and then I see this and wondering what to do. Photos attached. Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Garage builders not up to par?-20180722_160454_1532306728632.jpg   Garage builders not up to par?-20180722_160945_1532306763672.jpg   Garage builders not up to par?-20180722_160815_1532306797000.jpg   Garage builders not up to par?-20180722_162012_1532306838422.jpg  
RetroJoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,106

Re: Garage builders not up to par?

First picture corners, real does not matter, nothing to do with structural strength.
Picture 2. sill gasket should be between wood and concrete. I would complain about that.
Picture 3. I would guess they double checked for square and corrected it. Not enough to get exited about.
Picture 4. When the siding goes on there needs to be a flashing covering the exposed concrete so water does not sit on the pier where it could wick into the wood.
The paper tube got wet before they pour and collapsed a little and they got it back into shape. I doubt if it is a problem.
You did not have a detailed contract and now you are paying the price.
We do not quote a job with out looking at the approved plans with a stamp from the city. We sign that set of plans. That set of plans is used to resolve issues of what was quoted. The big garage door is usually handled by the supplier but should have been discussed earlier.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,532

What does your contract say?
What do the plans show?
That's all you have to back up your claims of not building what was expected.
Guap0_ likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 01:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,251

I'd fire them if it was me. Lazy people don't work for me.

I had a roof being installed on one of my houses last month. The supplier only delivered half the order. New guy working on his own messed up. Installed what was delivered on the back. The next day, the same new guy loaded the truck and delivered the rest. I stop by around noon and see the shingles being offloaded so I grab a bite to eat and return about an hour later. Half the singles are installed already and they are the wrong color. I went off on the guys. Why in the world would you install a different color shingle on the front than on the back? Why wouldn't you call me to say something? Called the supplier, ripped into them. Had the guys remove the wrong shingles, and install the correct shingles. Fired them when the job was complete. Absolutely stupid and lazy. In the 40 years I've been working in construction, I've never seen or had two different color shingles installed on a house.
joecaption likes this.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 44

The plans show attic trusses with stairs going up to them. The only thing I told them upfront was I was going to build the stairs. So the contract is vague and basically says completed garage with siding and roof. The plans for the frost wall just say Frost wall per stamped plans. There's nothing in there that says that I had to pay for the backfill. In addition to these other issues, they neglected to use deck tension ties which I was informed by the local inspector is code. They also lagged the ledger board into the 90 year old brick veneer and not into any of the wood framing of the house, despite the proper lag screws being available to them. I'm concerned about deck collapse since it is a 4 foot by 25 foot run along the side of the house. They used 4 in by half inch lag screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
What does your contract say?
What do the plans show?
That's all you have to back up your claims of not building what was expected.
RetroJoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 310

Ledgers SHOULD NOT be attached to a veneer brick wall. Brick walls should not carry any vertical loads other than it's own weight.
SPS-1, joecaption and Nealtw like this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement