Front Porch Posts Need Replaced - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Front porch posts need replaced

Hello every1....never posted on a home improvement forum before so here we go and thanks in advance for any info.......pardon my ignorance also - I have no idea wth I'm doing when it comes to stuff like this.

I have 3 front porch posts that I need to replace - they're completely rotted out at the base and I guess I just need some advice on how to go about it. There is a piece of rebar poking out of the concrete where the wood used to be touching. Would I just replace the posts with something like the picture I attached?

And would I drill a hole in the bottom for the rebar?
Attached Thumbnails
Front porch posts need replaced-006.jpg   Front porch posts need replaced-007.jpg   Front porch posts need replaced-008.jpg   Front porch posts need replaced-009.jpg   Front porch posts need replaced-054561448153.jpg  

Gaberlunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,473

A 6x6 PT post is what I would use. The rebar is meant to keep the post from moving. A single piece is fairly easy to drill a hole around but it does require the roof to be raised up a bit to clear. A better more modern option is to use one of the metal post plates sold at a box store.

You are also going to need some extra wood to serve as a temporary support. Depending on the size of the roof these might be 2x4 or 2x6 nailed together in a T shape.

Ask more more questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,232

The reason post rot out is because there in direct contact with the porch not sitting on post bases like they should be.
I agree far better to replace them with, vinyl, fiberglass, or aluminum columns so there's no more mantaince.
I use a bottle jack with a 1/2", 6 X 6 thick steel plate on top of the jack and a 4 X 4 to do the lifting.
Only need to lift just enough to slide out the old post.
If you replace them with something other then wood the mounting plates will come with it.
Just cut off the rebar and Tap-Con the base in place.
Going to use wood then you need to still cut off the rebar and Tap-Con a Strong Tie post base in place.
Problem with wood is it's going to check (crack along it's length) and need to dry out a long before coating.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 42

This type of base may be an option:
http://www.dhcsupplies.com/store/p/5...l#.VPn0p0t2TFE
Larry K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,042

Yes that's the type of base you need, and before you install the post's seal both ends with paraffin, available at any grocery store, just rub it across the top and bottom until the end grain is full.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Gulf...ewJxoCWk3w_wcB
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement