DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Framing up a wall in the basement

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

New to this Site but so far I love it. I bought my house about a year ago and have done a lot of work so far. Mostly aesthetic stuff i've done myself but have been learning alot as I go and am not afraid to tackle most projects with some help from more knowledgeable friends and family.

Our basement is "unfinished" and was getting water. We recently had a french drain system put in and are hoping not to have to deal with that anymore. There was an old paneled workshop down there but i tore it out b/c it was stupidly designed and also moldy and nasty. Now that the basement is dry and relatively empty i'm planning on putting a new shop up. For now i dont really have plans of "finishing" the space. I need a shop area b/c we dont have a garage or a shed. Other then that I plan on having a laundry area, small gym/work out area, the shop, and that will also leave another area that can be finished at a later time.

So the question I have is can I use screws for framing up this wall? Can I use deck screws or something rather then trying to get a nail gun? Also any advice on general framing in a basement is welcomed and appreciated. The trickiest part i see is framing up a wall next to the existing stairs.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree with Jojr. Get a hammer and box of nails. If you want to complete your job fast, go to Home Depot or any big box store and rent a framing nailer. It will not cost much. Make sure you do not measure of the existing foundation. Most of the time, foundation walls are not straight. Use the 3-4-5 method for a perfect 90 degree angle --use the longest wall in your basement.

#6 ·
Must use a pressure treated bottom plate.
Build the wall laying down on the floor and stand it up.
Leave the wall short and just shim where it's needed beore nailing to the floor joist.
Reason being there's no way that slab floor is going to be perectly flat.

#8 ·
Oldie but goodie...

Gary

Reactions: bbo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.