Framing A Round Opening In Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By woodworkbykirk

Old 08-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 74

Framing a round opening in wall

I saw a really neat idea at a mexican restaurant a while back where they had a wagon wheel built into an interior wall. I came across an old wagon wheel and have thought about trying to do this in my basement. But don't have a clue where to start with the framing and finishing of the opening to make it look decent. The wagon wheel is about 42" in diameter. The wall will be 2x6s and not load bearing. How do I go about framing an opening to fit the wheel in? Then how do I finish the round opening?

I have thought about framing a square and then putting in diagonals to make an octagon. Then maybe some 1/8" thick hardboard bent and nailed down to make the circle. Or use plywood to make the circle opening on each side and cut 2x4s to go between the two sheets of ply like you do with arches. But then don't know how to finish that to look decent? Can't think of a way with wood or drywall to finish it off.

Any ideas or suggestions on the best way to frame a round opening for this? Then ideas on how to finish it off with either wood or drywall to make it look decent and not just a rough opening with a wheel stuck in it? Thanks
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,616

Re: Framing a round opening in wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I saw a really neat idea at a mexican restaurant a while back where they had a wagon wheel built into an interior wall. I came across an old wagon wheel and have thought about trying to do this in my basement. But don't have a clue where to start with the framing and finishing of the opening to make it look decent. The wagon wheel is about 42" in diameter. The wall will be 2x6s and not load bearing. How do I go about framing an opening to fit the wheel in? Then how do I finish the round opening?

I have thought about framing a square and then putting in diagonals to make an octagon. Then maybe some 1/8" thick hardboard bent and nailed down to make the circle. Or use plywood to make the circle opening on each side and cut 2x4s to go between the two sheets of ply like you do with arches. But then don't know how to finish that to look decent? Can't think of a way with wood or drywall to finish it off.

Any ideas or suggestions on the best way to frame a round opening for this? Then ideas on how to finish it off with either wood or drywall to make it look decent and not just a rough opening with a wheel stuck in it? Thanks
I'd consider your thoughts of using hardboard bent around the tire of the wheel to get a real close fit. Using it as a pattern cut the cripple studs to fit the hardboard circle and X braced. The width of the hardboard band would come out even to the drywall and a rope would be fastened to the edge for the trim.

If I were to do it I'd have to make my own rope to make me happy.
Pictured is a wheel / parts so you can talk to those folks that are in the know about wheels and seem like an expert. Of course we'll want to see the end result.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 952

If you decide to go with drywall there is a cornerbead available for curves.

SeniorSitizen likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

are you going to be trimminng around the wagon wheel?

your best bet is to build square opening 4" bigger than the wheel... then rip some 2x4 down by 1/2" to 3" or if 2x6 down to 5" and set it in 1/2" in the opening... next cut a peice of plywood the size of the opening... and using a compass or trammel points draw a circle 1" bigger than the wheel then cut it out with a jigsaw.. install the plywood to the opening and then install additional 2x4 to the cirlcle opening so to give something to fasten the wagon wheel to and allow for shimming
Mingledtrash likes this.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Mingledtrash (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,036

Lucky someone made a video about it cause its a long explanation. This is the method we generally use. with small variations learned by experience.

Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingledtrash View Post
Lucky someone made a video about it cause its a long explanation. This is the method we generally use. with small variations learned by experience.

https://youtu.be/ofO0z1XY9DU?t=273
That is the easy part. I was more concerned about how to finish it from that point. As in using drywall or wood or what to trim and finish it. Yes they make flex corner bead which would work good for the part by the wall but not sure how I would finish it around the wagon wheel. Maybe the rope idea would work.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement