Framing Over Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2015, 03:18 PM  

Rewards Points: 6

framing over garage

Hello,

I am converting attic space over an attached garage into bedroom space. I want to discuss what the builder has done. I live the south jersey region.
There are two 20’ foot spans. The builder used 2x10 hemfir space at 12 o.c. They come together on a 2x4 framed wall the seperates my living space to garage space. This wall has a double header on it. Originally the joist were 2x4 at 8 foot lengths at 24 o.c strapped together with the metal straps.
The roof support if truss construction. They are spaced 24 inches in the attic space.

I’ve attached some sketches of the first floor area and second floor area. Also the truss design and roof specs. I hope this is enough information to give a clear idea of what im doing.

I have a few concerns.
First, are the joist size and type ok. Looking at the span charts I feel 12 inch boards at 12o.c should have been used for a 20 foot span. Is it ok they joist are resting on a regular wall with double 2x4 header on top. I’m pretty sure the studs are 24 inches, but I can check. I just feel like the wall the joists rest on should be supported better somehow. It was explained to me that since the room with NOT be over the entire spans and some of the length will just be left attic space the joists are ok.
Second and my bigger concern is how to properly reconfigure the truss work. Is the proposed plan in the drawing ok?

thank you for taking the time to review.
pics.

Attached Thumbnails
framing over garage-1st-floor-plan.jpg   framing over garage-2nd-floor-plan..jpg   framing over garage-original-roof-truss.jpg   framing over garage-proposed-2nd-floor-room-location.jpg   framing over garage-modified-roof-truss.jpg  

Last edited by homeantobe; 02-16-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 03:34 PM  
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

i had a really hard time understanding your post. A couple of terminology issues. You say your walls have a double top header. You probably mean a double top plate, meaning the wall has two 2x4's nailed together at the top.

I did not really understand what you meant by reconfiguring the trusses, and the drawing was confusing. You cannot change a truss, they are designed and built for a specific application, and unless the manufacturer designs a change, you need to leave them alone. But maybe you meant something different.

As to your overall questions, when you pulled a permit for this project, were the drawings acceptable to the building inspector? If they meet building inspector approval, the design is probably OK. If you did not get a permit, then now might be a good time to discuss the project with the building inspector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 07:23 PM  

yes i meant double top plate. unfortunately the truss work was done already. i really started to question things when i saw the joists at 24 inch centers. I put a stop to the project and the contractor is now working with a structual engineer. but i still dont trust anything anymore. We did not pull permits and really wish i had now. so stressed out i cant' sleep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 PM  

thanks for at least responding. i need a professional
Old 02-16-2015, 07:28 PM  
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 74

Trusses can often be altered, but only with the guidance of a structural engineer. We recently converted some garage trusses into attic trusses. It was an extensive alteration however, and my first instincts were that it would not be possible. With money, almost anything is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement