Framing A Garage Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Framing a Garage Door

Is there a minimum length of wall on either side of the garage door. I have heard there is a mininum requirement of 24 inches?
tdobosenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

you don't even half to have a wall...just adaquate support for your beam of choice.......but check you rlocal code if you care,
ropers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

A garage door as in to drive a car in?
My understanding was 18" min - could be wrong

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

I would say that in different areas, different codes to follow on this. In my area you have to have an "an amount of support equal to the width of the header/beam". In other words, the "wall" width has to be at least equal to the width of the header or manufactured beam, and the header/beam sits on the "wall". One or two extra boards here make the inspectors really happy. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
All trades carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropers View Post
you don't even half to have a wall...just adaquate support for your beam of choice.......but check you rlocal code if you care,
Sorry but this is wrong. You need a wall for sheer. Otherwise the wall could rack either way. In my area code is 32 inches.
CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 526

I agree, it is for shear flow. Here it is 27" minimum width, unless you use one of these: http://www.strongtie.com/products/st...age-portal.asp
The hold downs are just as important, along with the header length, consult your local Building Department. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

the minimum in philadelphia is 18" but i always do between 24"-30"
lemon714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Incorrect advice like that makes checking your local code even more important. Garage portal walls are incredibly important because they serve as shear collectors for the entire width of the garage. In wind load those two little walls are under incredible stresses and width, design and proper assembly are critical to performance. The code has requirements but since wind ratings and local requirements on this topic vary so greatly you're definitely better off checking local requirements to see what they enforce. Pay close attention to anchor bolt/hold-down locations (imbedded straps, prestressed hold-downs, etc), sheathing orientation, sheathing seams, sheathing nail pattern and the connection from the header over the door to the wall panel assembly. Around here the header must run the full length of the wall, not just the opening. The connection between the header and the wall sheathing is engineered to take the lateral forces from the header (racking forces) and transfer them down through the wall to the foundation.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

i wall at the corner is not the only way to accomplish lateral support or accomadate wind......if so explain the center of a 100ft clear span woods frame building......in 150 mile zone...why doesn't it buckle in the middle....we supporting sticks a bricks here no jumbo jets.
ropers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #10

Quote:
i wall at the corner is not the only way to accomplish lateral support or accomadate wind......if so explain the center of a 100ft clear span woods frame building......in 150 mile zone...why doesn't it buckle in the middle....we supporting sticks a bricks here no jumbo jets.
You need to spend a little time reading IRC R602.10.6....The minimum standard for wall bracing at corners where the 48" requirement of 602.10.4 for bracing all walls can't be met. I don't need to explain anything other than to cite the code. Anyone that has even a loose understanding of the physics of wind load can get a grasp on the concept of a collector panel.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement