Framing Around Ductwork - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing Around Ductwork

I have new ductwork from the floor in my garage to the ceiling and I want to finish around it. The garage is finished with drywall except the bottom which as concrete blocks. If I frame all the way to the floor, how can I keep the bottom of the drywall from corroding? Is there another way to finish it so that it matches the the garage? Please see pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing Around Ductwork-picture.jpg  
SK McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

What if you box around the duct and then put a piece of 1/4" plywood around the bottom of the board. It won't be exactly what you have now, but you should be able to paint the plywood to match the color of the exposed cinder blocks you currently have. Unless you go and touch it, probably wont know its painted wood.
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...8-34299-220023
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Git

Rewards Points: 75

Looks like someone got lazy - is there a reason why that duct could not have been run INSIDE the wall?

To be safe, I would use pressure treated lumber for the bottom plate, and then run the new drywall so there is about 1/2 to 3/4 " gap above the floor. Then use a baseboard to cover it up
Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement