Foundation Veneer - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Foundation veneer

Doing a veneer job on my exterior foundation and debating if i should hire someone. My foundation is about 270 sq ft of veneering I want to get done around all sides of my house. I currently have white chipping paint. How would you guys go about installation prep work? wire lathe? If yes would u use concrete screws to secure the wire? Every 6 inches? After a wire lathe is a scratch coat mandatory?
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
Doing a veneer job on my exterior foundation and debating if i should hire someone. My foundation is about 270 sq ft of veneering I want to get done around all sides of my house. I currently have white chipping paint. How would you guys go about installation prep work?

Either remove the paint to get to a clean solid surface or install galvanized diamond mesh.

wire lathe? If yes would u use concrete screws to secure the wire?

Just about any light concrete anchor will work. Just remember to use washers as most Tapcons, nails, etc.. have too small of a head. I personally use a special gas/air nailer built just for concrete with a 1" square washer.

Every 6 inches?

Every 6-8" vertically and about 16" horizontally. You may need to add a few randomly in the field if the lath is still loose.

After a wire lathe is a scratch coat mandatory?
Yes it is.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #3

Thanks jomama. my friend and I have the same deal. his paint is chipping as well. He started to chip away the paint because it wasn't easy to remove. A 8 foot section by 2 ft high took him 4 hrs to doo. I said your crazy you will be there forever by the time he is done. Is there a better way for this? I did hit mine with a heavy duty power washer and some came off but not all. I would rather not use the wire lathe to save time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 458

I would rent the heaviest power washer you can get, use a "turbo-tip" on it and try that first. The next attempt would involve sand/media blasting, which will cost much more.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #5

just showing how bad my foundation is.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,744

we'd use a conc grinder & diamond wheel then finish w/polymer-modified cements but we do that work for a living
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #7

Was just at Lowes and saw a yellow sander called paint eater in the paint dept. Next to the paint speakers. It mention good for masonry. Seems like it can wok. The pads are 16 bucks each. For a whole foundation not sure if it would work out. I also been noticing at fast food restaurants they have veneer done but its very nice looking. Mcdonalds by my house has them. Seems like a panel that is 18" long by 4 high and has a bunch of thin veneer on it. Tight joints. Looks great where can I look to purchase these from?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
Was just at Lowes and saw a yellow sander called paint eater in the paint dept. Next to the paint speakers. It mention good for masonry. Seems like it can wok. The pads are 16 bucks each. For a whole foundation not sure if it would work out. I also been noticing at fast food restaurants they have veneer done but its very nice looking. Mcdonalds by my house has them. Seems like a panel that is 18" long by 4 high and has a bunch of thin veneer on it. Tight joints. Looks great where can I look to purchase these from?
I'd be interested in knowing where you can get the veneer panels too.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #9

if my guys didn't get 100sf in an hr EACH, they'd be embarrassed ! i know its tempting to try & reinvent the wheel, tho

Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
if my guys didn't get 100sf in an hr EACH, they'd be embarrassed ! i know its tempting to try & reinvent the wheel, tho
i have no clue on what you are trying to say
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #11

nor do you have any idea how to do the work efficiently = we do this work for a living - jomama may recommend a pressure washer - we tried that once - 4Kpsi & 4gpm delivery w/sand injection - pitted the wall,,, THAT is why we use diamond grinders !
Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #12

Well next time just say what you use instead of making no sense and saying your guys would be embarrassed. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #13

have you seen this previously ? ' we'd use a conc grinder & diamond wheel then finish w/polymer-modified cements but we do that work,,, '
Sponsored Links
Advertisement