Foundation Sill - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ront02769
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 80

Foundation sill

Hi, My foundation sill has big gaps on the bottom and top of it. It's not like that on one side if the house but is where u can see in another side. I can see all the way till some cement debris I don't know what it would be maybe you can help. Should I insulate and call or wedge some wood in between to close it? I can feel a draft coming through the pipe so can I just call the pipe and where the two sills meet in the corner. Should I just calk any small holes or insulate then calk if u can? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation sill-img_20190115_192507421.jpg   Foundation sill-img_20190115_192459170.jpg   Foundation sill-img_20190115_192448356.jpg  
Bren24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

Re: Foundation sill

Easiest, great stuff foam. End of story.
Nealtw likes this.
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

Are any of your rim joist insulated? If not look at Froth-Pak. Not the cheapest stuff but if your in Canada I would assume it would pay for it self in a few years. And keep some bugs out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by spitz1234; 01-15-2019 at 10:58 PM.
spitz1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,096

Hi Bren,
That first picture looks like there has been a moisture issue. Determine what the cause is and fix, if it hasn't already been done. At some point some wood there may need to be replaced.

Closed cell can foam doesn't always look that good a few years down the road, but it is quick and easy. Technically you need to check local authorities to see if they want a foam job covered by a thermal barrier. Some do dome don't.

Highest priority will be air sealing. If you go with the can foam rig up a longer tube so you can apply the foam with the can vertical from a little farther away. I found some plastic tubing that was a tight fit to their straw. Also notices they have a tip of some sort on their straw last time I purchased. Snip and it was gone.

I have used a lot of construction adhesive, less expensive, large tubes. And when dried solid as a rock. Loctite pro line was the last I bought. Rope caulk can also help as it can be pushed into difficult places.

Point being seal everything. Once sealed you could fill the cavities with Roxul.

Not sure if you have anything on the foundation walls or not but at last the top half needs to be insulated.

Bud
Old 01-16-2019, 12:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Hi Bren,
That first picture looks like there has been a moisture issue. Determine what the cause is and fix, if it hasn't already been done. At some point some wood there may need to be replaced.

Closed cell can foam doesn't always look that good a few years down the road, but it is quick and easy. Technically you need to check local authorities to see if they want a foam job covered by a thermal barrier. Some do dome don't.

Highest priority will be air sealing. If you go with the can foam rig up a longer tube so you can apply the foam with the can vertical from a little farther away. I found some plastic tubing that was a tight fit to their straw. Also notices they have a tip of some sort on their straw last time I purchased. Snip and it was gone.

I have used a lot of construction adhesive, less expensive, large tubes. And when dried solid as a rock. Loctite pro line was the last I bought. Rope caulk can also help as it can be pushed into difficult places.

Point being seal everything. Once sealed you could fill the cavities with Roxul.

Not sure if you have anything on the foundation walls or not but at last the top half needs to be insulated.

Bud

Ok so what you are saying is calk as far as I can to the other side of gap, insulate and then finish by calling the gap to the inside of the foundation? Just making sure thanks
Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Easiest, great stuff foam. End of story.
Seems easy enough and just fill the whole cavity? Do I have to worry about insects or rodents? Thanks
Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #7

Filling a cavity with can foam isn't all that easy. It is designed to deliver a bead of foam rather than a spray. The high expanding foam will expand all over if you don't know when to stop. Even the next day. And it can only be applied so thick or the interior will never cure. Oh and did I mention foam doesn't like cold temperatures. Ironically it does like moisture so read up on spraying a touch of water to the surfaces before applying.

The froth pack mentioned is a spray variety which if you have enough area to justify might work out. Still need to address the thermal barrier question.

What I was explaining was, seal the leaks and then stuff the cavities with Roxul. No need for more caulking.

Bud
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,584

Quote:
Filling a cavity with can foam isn't all that easy. It is designed to deliver a bead of foam rather than a spray. The high expanding foam will expand all over if you don't know when to stop. Even the next day. And it can only be applied so thick or the interior will never cure. Oh and did I mention foam doesn't like cold temperatures. Ironically it does like moisture so read up on spraying a touch of water to the surfaces before applying.

The froth pack mentioned is a spray variety which if you have enough area to justify might work out. Still need to address the thermal barrier question.

What I was explaining was, seal the leaks and then stuff the cavities with Roxul. No need for more caulking.

Bud
I think he was talking about gaps around the pipes and things.
Bud9051 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #9

I'm not fully awake as yet

Bud
Old 01-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi Bren,

Bud
So you've used adhesives before to make things air sealed?
Also, it wouldn't be as effective because of the insulation factor correct like in spray foam?

Also it says not to use any of the foam if not in the desired temperature range. What should I do in that case? Thanks
Old 01-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #11

Air sealing is a big factor in reducing heat loss. After it is air sealed the temp will improve so some can foam can be used, but best if you wait for warm weather.

Sealing the rim joist cavities and the rim to the foundation is all infiltration. Cold air pushes in the lower areas and forces warm air up and out the high areas.

Cutting pieces of rigid foam to fit loosely into each joist cavity and then sealing the perimeter with either caulking or can foam is another alternative.

Bud
Nealtw likes this.
Bren24 (01-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement