Foundation Heaving Caused Truss Lift. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Msradell

Old 03-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Foundation heaving caused truss lift.

After living in our new home approximately 2 years, I began to notice separations between some of the interior walls and the floor. There were also some separations at the ceiling and cracking of the sheetrock at the corners of some of the doors and windows.
I hired a civil engineer to inspect the home to determine the problem. His report was that the foundation was "heaving" due to expansive soils and inadequate preparation for the foundation. He stated that the perimeter of the foundation was rising as much as 2.5 inches at one corner and to a lesser degree at other points around the perimeter. This caused the trusses to lift and resulted in the separations at the walls and the cracks.
I hired a foundation company to come out and do soil injections with a product called ECS3000. We've monitored the foundation movement for a year and a half. I am confident the foundation has stabilized and there is no further movement.
It is time now to start the cosmetic repairs. My question is with regard to the separations of the walls from the floors. Do I need to shim the walls at the floor? Would just filling the cracks with expanding foam work? Is it enough to just lower the baseboards to cover the cracks. I'm not sure the best way to proceed.
Any help is appreciated, especially from anyone who has had a similar experience.
JWDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,416

Re: Foundation heaving caused truss lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDuffer View Post
After living in our new home approximately 2 years, I began to notice separations between some of the interior walls and the floor. There were also some separations at the ceiling and cracking of the sheetrock at the corners of some of the doors and windows.
I hired a civil engineer to inspect the home to determine the problem. His report was that the foundation was "heaving" due to expansive soils and inadequate preparation for the foundation. He stated that the perimeter of the foundation was rising as much as 2.5 inches at one corner and to a lesser degree at other points around the perimeter. This caused the trusses to lift and resulted in the separations at the walls and the cracks.
I hired a foundation company to come out and do soil injections with a product called ECS3000. We've monitored the foundation movement for a year and a half. I am confident the foundation has stabilized and there is no further movement.
It is time now to start the cosmetic repairs. My question is with regard to the separations of the walls from the floors. Do I need to shim the walls at the floor? Would just filling the cracks with expanding foam work? Is it enough to just lower the baseboards to cover the cracks. I'm not sure the best way to proceed.
Any help is appreciated, especially from anyone who has had a similar experience.
Hopefully you have a crawl space below. stabilizing the soil was only half the repair.
Now the rest is to bring the rest of the house up to level with area that is to high. Only then you look at the cosmetics.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 910

Did you consult the builder when you 1st discovered this problem? In many states repair a problem like this would be the responsibility.
Nealtw likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 966

Where are you located? I agree that the builder should have been consulted. It seems the footing was not deep enough, or (if you are in Colorado) proper basement walls were not installed as floaters.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

I'm in SE New Mexico. I did contact the builder but was outside the warranty period. The Builder is a California-based company and was not much help. I consulted an attorney who was not encouraging about any legal claims. Apparently NM is not very good about holding builders accountable; especially out-of-state builders.
No crawl space, just a slab. Engineer did not advise helical piers or pumping under slab to raise it. He recommended monitoring for 18 months and, if movement stopped, make cosmetic repairs.
JWDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDuffer View Post
I'm in SE New Mexico. I did contact the builder but was outside the warranty period. The Builder is a California-based company and was not much help. I consulted an attorney who was not encouraging about any legal claims. Apparently NM is not very good about holding builders accountable; especially out-of-state builders.
No crawl space, just a slab. Engineer did not advise helical piers or pumping under slab to raise it. He recommended monitoring for 18 months and, if movement stopped, make cosmetic repairs.

Maybe it is just cosmetic but by who's definition.
Most engineers will call a house level if the floor is within 5/8" over 20 ft.
There are choices in what to do, just do cosmetics and live with slopes,
Leave the floor and level the walls which fixes doors and windows and roof lines.
Or level the slab fixing all at the same time.

Fist thing I would want to know is how bad it is, what tools have you used to monitor for changes since the repairs were done.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement