Foundation Footer Drain - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 132
Default

Foundation footer drain


I need to install a footer drain on one side of my house as i am getting water in my crawl space. My grading is fine. I found lots of information on installing the drain next to the footer but the question i have is where do i need to have the drain expose of the water? my land is pretty flat. Do i just dig a big hole and have the drain pipe lead into the hole then fill the hole with gravel?
Also there seems to be lots of pictures of the drain pipe about the footer and below the footer, which way is correct?
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,130
Rewards Points: 14,148
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


Beside the footing is the best, depending on depth 10" below the crawlspace level will work too. The hole you mentioned is a dry well, but that only works if the ground water level is lower than the crawlspace, which is unlikely as you are getting water in there.

If you can't run the drain to a slope that would take water away you may have to install a sump and pump to get it up and out.
landfillwizard likes this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 132
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Beside the footing is the best, depending on depth 10" below the crawlspace level will work too. The hole you mentioned is a dry well, but that only works if the ground water level is lower than the crawlspace, which is unlikely as you are getting water in there.

If you can't run the drain to a slope that would take water away you may have to install a sump and pump to get it up and out.

I should have state that the drain would be on the outside not in the crawl space as it appears to be coming from the outside when it rains a lot. This is what i had in mind, https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,130
Rewards Points: 14,148
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
I should have state that the drain would be on the outside not in the crawl space as it appears to be coming from the outside when it rains a lot. This is what i had in mind,
I understand that an if the level inside is just above that yes you have to go that deep but often the interior is not as deep as the footing.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 132
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


It appears my ground level on the inside of my crawl space is level with the bottom of my footer. What would be my best options to stop the water from coming into my crawl space?
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation footer drain-20190403_181919-4.jpg  
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 8,562
Rewards Points: 2,730
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


Ground surface of the crawl space is even with the bottoms of the footings?

There is no safe way of simply laying drain pipes against the foundation either inside or outside. The best you can do is bring in some dirt to raise the level of the middle of the crawl space so water will tend to go to the sides like going to the "gutters" in a street. Or better yet, if you have enough headroom is to raise the level of the entire crawl space surface so you can put in drain pipes that do not protrude above the new surface.

Dig below the bottoms of the footings in order to bury the drain pipes and the entire foundation can collapse.

Here is a more elaborate thing you can do. Excavate on the outside of the foundation down to footing bottoms and out to 20 inches away from the house. While you are at it, brush clean and paint waterproofing on the foundation.

Now sketch out the path of the drain pipe to occupy the space 12 to 16 inches away from the foundation. Dig out a 5 inch trench this 12 inches away from the foundation and 5 inches deeper; the bottom of this trench corresponds to 4 to 5 inches below the footing bottoms. Put down a little gravel, lay the pipe, and fill this narrow trench with gravel. Then backfill the big 20 inch wide trench.

The drain pipe you just laid should be almost perfectly level. Choose a corner or other location to dig a pit for a sump pump.

When you backfill the big trench ( extending 20 inches out from the foundation) grade the surface so water runs away from the house. The sump pump pit will need an extender tube up to the surface.
__________________
Heat went off in the dead of winter? Excellent idea to be late or absent for work and to spend the day winterizing your house to keep pipes from freezing. Every house is different. For those of you not hit yet, think of what things you need to do.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-19-2019 at 05:57 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,130
Rewards Points: 14,148
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


I have never seen a footing that hasn't back filled like that, you would not go under the footing but you have get below the level of the water so I guess beside the footing but 6 inches deeper.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 8,562
Rewards Points: 2,730
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


Important correction to the preceding.

Now sketch out the path of the drain pipe to occupy the space 12 to 16 inches away from the Footings. Dig out a 5 inch trench this 12 inches away from the Footings and 5 inches deeper; the bottom of this trench corresponds to 4 to 5 inches below the footing bottoms. Put down a little gravel, lay the pipe, and fill this narrow trench with gravel. Then backfill the big 20 inch wide trench.
Nealtw likes this.
__________________
Heat went off in the dead of winter? Excellent idea to be late or absent for work and to spend the day winterizing your house to keep pipes from freezing. Every house is different. For those of you not hit yet, think of what things you need to do.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 132
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Important correction to the preceding.

Now sketch out the path of the drain pipe to occupy the space 12 to 16 inches away from the Footings. Dig out a 5 inch trench this 12 inches away from the Footings and 5 inches deeper; the bottom of this trench corresponds to 4 to 5 inches below the footing bottoms. Put down a little gravel, lay the pipe, and fill this narrow trench with gravel. Then backfill the big 20 inch wide trench.
Like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=foun...rKMg4z7muwcIoM
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Hammered Thumb
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SuburbanIL
Posts: 648
Rewards Points: 1,294
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


First, digging the whole crawl to the bottom of footing with no backfill is common, no concern there. Second, from your pic it looks like maybe some washout/settling in the corner. It looks like a "point of entry" problem, not a general "ground up" water table problem. I would guess you still have a downspout dumping too close.

Building a pyramid inside won't do anything unless its raining in there, and terminating a drain tile nearby with most of the "drywell" above it will clog in about a year or two and can be overwhelmed in heavy rains anyway.

I hope you have verified, before going this difficult route, that the water you are getting is truly from the water table or underground runoff from a higher slope nearby. If it is in fact consistent water around the house, then all involve a sump pit:

1. best is digging exterior and installing the drain tile next to the footing. A pipe would go under the footing into the sump inside the crawlspace. You could also install damproofing as crawls usually aren't done by builders.

2. If digging outside is not feasible, you can dig inside like that detail post#9 below the footing, routed to the sump.

3. If digging inside is not feasible, you can lay the drain next to the footing.

Obviously #2 &3 has allowed water into the space already which is not optimum, and should be combined with at least a vapor barrier or mudslab to limit moisture rising into the house.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:10 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: atl & hilton head
Posts: 5,884
Rewards Points: 2,052
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


we've got 1 this coming week - drain crawl space water w/3'headroom & ext grade's the same elevation,,, how's it getting in ? from all around the perimeter but $$ too high for client so next best - hdpe sump, 1/3rd hp submersible automatic pump, sump cover, & 1 1/2" discharge line thru crawl space wall
thankfully there's a slight grade so, once on the surface, it will flow from the house - no trenching inside OR out
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 132
Default


Seems like i am going to have to dig on the out side to see where the water is coming from because i have a nice grade and the down sprouts lead to a dry well hole about 15 feet away.
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation footer drain-20190420_144750_1555860113780.jpg   Foundation footer drain-20190420_144738_1555860157669.jpg  
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #13
Hammered Thumb
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SuburbanIL
Posts: 648
Rewards Points: 1,294
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


If that one corner crawlspace pic is at the downspout, it could be overflowing there. Is it corrugated pipe to the drywell (just checking)?

If that one corner crawlspace pic is at the concrete slab, it could be a lot of runoff combined with runoff from the mulch plastic that is concentrating to one spot.

If the crawlspace looks like that along the entire wall, is the drywell along that side and taking all the gutters, or not able to handle/disperse what is tied to it?

If you have no evidence of a high water table (which most likely the builder would have addressed originally) then continue investigating the water source before taking on a "big dig."
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 132
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
If that one corner crawlspace pic is at the downspout, it could be overflowing there. Is it corrugated pipe to the drywell (just checking)?

If that one corner crawlspace pic is at the concrete slab, it could be a lot of runoff combined with runoff from the mulch plastic that is concentrating to one spot.

If the crawlspace looks like that along the entire wall, is the drywell along that side and taking all the gutters, or not able to handle/disperse what is tied to it?

If you have no evidence of a high water table (which most likely the builder would have addressed originally) then continue investigating the water source before taking on a "big dig."

I have constantly monitored that down sprout when it rains and it's not over flowing from what i can tell, the dry well only takes on that one down sprout. and yes corrugated pipe. The water in the crawl space is only from the sewer clean out to that corner of the house. It seems as the only logical problems would be high water table or their could be hard pan right under nether the footer that is not allowing water to drain and therefor making it's way into the craw. It almost seems as the only option is to install a footer french drain to help with water issue in my crawl space. I have the builder coming out to look at but i don't have high hopes on that out come as the builder has been hard to work with since the house was built.
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #15
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,130
Rewards Points: 14,148
Default

Re: Foundation footer drain


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
I have constantly monitored that down sprout when it rains and it's not over flowing from what i can tell, the dry well only takes on that one down sprout. and yes corrugated pipe. The water in the crawl space is only from the sewer clean out to that corner of the house. It seems as the only logical problems would be high water table or their could be hard pan right under nether the footer that is not allowing water to drain and therefor making it's way into the craw. It almost seems as the only option is to install a footer french drain to help with water issue in my crawl space. I have the builder coming out to look at but i don't have high hopes on that out come as the builder has been hard to work with since the house was built.
Perhaps the first 10 ft from the downspout should be solid pipe.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concrete foundation for damming spring Pack25 Concrete, Stone & Masonry 4 08-10-2018 05:53 AM
Condo drain in upper unit caused drain in lower unit to leak? dangre Plumbing 15 07-09-2016 08:45 AM
Condensate Drain Line Mystery FrogFan HVAC 5 09-24-2015 09:27 PM
To Plug or Not to Plug Secondary Condensate Drains Pestle HVAC 1 08-11-2015 07:14 PM
The Bioswale, french drain, deck, drainage dilemma (long) seabright_sc Building & Construction 2 01-05-2008 03:37 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts