Foundation In Cold Weather - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Marson

Old 11-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 618

Foundation in cold weather

Someone said I should wait until spring. That it's not worth it.

Weather forecast will be high 20's in the morning up to 50 during the day. No snow. Mornings are cold.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Richard Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,634

Re: Foundation in cold weather

Our concrete plants shut down at a certain temp just above freezing and if we do pour and expect freezing we rent thermal blanket for the foundation to keep the heat in over night.
Richard Pryor likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 926

Depends on how urgent the job really is. Around here, crete is more expensive as suppliers have to run heaters. You could wait for a better window. Personally, because foundations are permanent structures, I try to push them to the most ideal conditions so the best outcome is possible. I think about the workers. Happy and comfortable workers will do a better job, not rush and screw it up. On something like a municipal bridge project, arrangements are made to get it done. This can mean tuning the crete blend, heaters, you name it.

Are we talking a footing or full basement foundation walls?

Depending on size, something I have done is a temp wood structure within a pit to lay a thermal blanket on, and propane heaters in the space. The crete will produce heat and the earth will be constantly supplying heat so just trapping that is a big help.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 928

Gee, that temp not a problem at all provided you can get concrete. Especially for footings or foundation. I used to pour in the winter in Duluth MN and for flat work our cut off HIGH temperature for the day was 20 above (below that and we called it off). That's high temperature. Footings and foundations could be poured in any weather provided the dirt underneath isn't frozen. The concrete gets covered with insulated tarps. It generates it's own heat, so even in sub zero F weather, the next morning the pour will be quite warm. You will need to keep it covered for 48 hours before you can let it freeze. I'd call your local ready mix company and see what they have to say. They will know the ins and outs. Here in the frozen north heated water and accelerators are standard procedure in the winter.
Nealtw likes this.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marson For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marson View Post
Gee, that temp not a problem at all provided you can get concrete. Especially for footings or foundation. I used to pour in the winter in Duluth MN and for flat work our cut off HIGH temperature for the day was 20 above (below that and we called it off). That's high temperature. Footings and foundations could be poured in any weather provided the dirt underneath isn't frozen. The concrete gets covered with insulated tarps. It generates it's own heat, so even in sub zero F weather, the next morning the pour will be quite warm. You will need to keep it covered for 48 hours before you can let it freeze. I'd call your local ready mix company and see what they have to say. They will know the ins and outs. Here in the frozen north heated water and accelerators are standard procedure in the winter.
We work in the rain up here but we don't do well in the cold. I don't think the plants are set up for cold weather, in 20 years we only had to put off 2 or 3 jobs and only did 2 that had to be kept warm.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,084

Ask you concrete supplier. He knows what to add to the concrete mix and how to help it cure properly in low ambient conditions.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor View Post
Someone said I should wait until spring. That it's not worth it.

Weather forecast will be high 20's in the morning up to 50 during the day. No snow. Mornings are cold.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Be really careful. Many concrete contractors will tell you they know all there is to know... when in reality they don't. They simply want your job done and your money in their hand so they can move on to the next site.

https://www.cement.org/learn/concret...her-concreting
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement