Foundation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 148

Foundation

I'm considering buying a house and when I went in the basement I found all these metal posts all over the place. check the picture.

is this to support the house? Is this temporary? could this lead to problems?

Also I noticed on the first floor there is a little curving in the floor. under that area in the basement I noticed a little curve in the beam. check the attached. will fixing the sub floor fix this issue or is this a foundation issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation-f1.jpg   Foundation-f2.jpg   Foundation-f3.jpg   Foundation-f4.jpg  
nj2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

The columns were installed to help level and support a sagging floor.You can't fix this issue with the sub floor.It does not indicate a issue with the foundation.It's an issue with the beams and joist supporting the floor.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
The columns were installed to help level and support a sagging floor.You can't fix this issue with the sub floor.It does not indicate a issue with the foundation.It's an issue with the beams and joist supporting the floor.
the area of the sagging floor is about a 2 feet by 2. does this mean the floor will have to be ripped out and replaced to fix this issue? or just this area?
how expensive of a job would this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,118

You need people to be on site in you local area if you want real world prices.
Anyone on any web site will just be throwing out useless to you guesses when it come to prices.
And no home inspector should be quoting repair prices, it's not there job.
Sure hope your hiring your own inspector not using the one the realtor suggested.
Use there's and you may as well get Ray Charles to look at it.
nj2012 (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Anyone on any web site will just be throwing out useless to you guesses when it come to prices.
Sure hope your hiring your own inspector not using the one the realtor suggested.
Joe,

I cant take contractors to the house and get pricing now...... of course when I own the house I will do that. and I wont pay for inspection now because im not even sure if my offer will be accepted. I'm trying to figure out as much issues as possible right now to factor it in the price. this way I dont go back and forth with the bank and take a year to close. But of course if major issue is discovered during inspection I will back out.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I am confused by your post. You indicate you are putting an offer in on the house. But you cannot take contractors in to look at it. And you do not want to pay for an inspection prior to purchasing. And you believe that if you put an offer in, and it is accepted, you will then have an inspection done, which will allow you to back out of the deal if the inspection reveals problems.

And you appear to be asking for help regarding the seriousness and cost to repair of potential issues revealed by a couple of photos, and this on an internet chat forum.

I don't see how you can put a price on the house without a careful, competent inspection that will define all the issues, and allow you to discuss the issues with contractors, who can then put a price on repair. The idea of saving a few hundred dollars makes little sense to me, how are you planning to decide what to bid on the house.

My suggestion is to hire an experienced inspector, best would be a former contractor with significant experience repairing old houses, to prepare a formal, written report for you. An experienced inspector, with contractor experience, may have an idea what it would cost to make the repairs. Such an inspector will of course cost you some money, but it would be well spent.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (10-11-2014), sgip2000 (10-14-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am confused by your post. You indicate you are putting an offer in on the house. But you cannot take contractors in to look at it. And you do not want to pay for an inspection prior to purchasing. And you believe that if you put an offer in, and it is accepted, you will then have an inspection done, which will allow you to back out of the deal if the inspection reveals problems.

And you appear to be asking for help regarding the seriousness and cost to repair of potential issues revealed by a couple of photos, and this on an internet chat forum.

I don't see how you can put a price on the house without a careful, competent inspection that will define all the issues, and allow you to discuss the issues with contractors, who can then put a price on repair. The idea of saving a few hundred dollars makes little sense to me, how are you planning to decide what to bid on the house.

My suggestion is to hire an experienced inspector, best would be a former contractor with significant experience repairing old houses, to prepare a formal, written report for you. An experienced inspector, with contractor experience, may have an idea what it would cost to make the repairs. Such an inspector will of course cost you some money, but it would be well spent.
Daniel,

I said before closing I would hire an inspector and if there is any repair that cost more than 500 dollars I can back out of the deal without any issues.

If I have to hire an inspector for every house I go to see I would have paid $6500 so far and I'm not even done shopping. I'm in the very early stages of purchasing a home, I didn't even put an offer in yet. It wouldnt make sense to hire an inspector before the seller accepts my offer.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

just have your real estate agent put a clause that you are allowed 2 inspections and you may back out of the deal at that point without loss. the first inspection YOU do. and read up on how to do a proper house inspection. then you will have an idea if the home owner has any problem with your inspection and you will have some ideas to talk about with a professional inspector should you decide to continue.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 996

that beem looks way undersized.

just an fyi. look at the foundation walls. use a straight 2x4 or whatever. to see if the walls are bowed in. look at these pics for what i am talking about.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bowe...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 126

Yes It is done for supporting your joints, beams and sagging floor
jack45870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I didn't know Ray Charles did this sort of thing,but he must be the guy my realtor used. I think almost every problem I've seen on this forum,I have in my house!
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement