Floor Squeaks - Building & Construction - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near Philly
Posts: 2,707
Rewards Points: 2,328
Default

Re: Floor squeaks


Or, try this, it works:
https://www.amazon.com/OBERRY-ENTERP...4Z47Z29731Z6A5
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 140
Default

Re: Floor squeaks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
On occasion we can have truss lift in the winter, and sometimes the wall will move with the trusses. This is something to be looked at when nothing else solves the problem. This can happen when they nail the trusses to the interior wall instead of using truss lift clips.



So if the trusses are nailed to the interior wall can the nails be removed and have the truss life clips installed if so is this as simple ass removing the nails and installing the truss clips?
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,342
Rewards Points: 14,572
Default

Re: Floor squeaks


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
So if the trusses are nailed to the interior wall can the nails be removed and have the truss life clips installed if so is this as simple ass removing the nails and installing the truss clips?
I would think that would do it. Might b tricky finding them all, if they added drywall backing up against the truss.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 140
Default

Re: Floor squeaks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would think that would do it. Might b tricky finding them all, if they added drywall backing up against the truss.

It seems as most of the floor popping is an area along a certain wall (red line in pic). I will have to go up in the attic and see if i nails holding the trusses or if i see truss clips. I did look at the plans and the county plan examiner did indicated that there should be truss clips along the front porch. When the truss clips are written does that mean all the trusses should have truss clips all the way to the back wall or only in the front where it's written "truss clips"?
Attached Thumbnails
Floor squeaks-roof.png  

Last edited by 2Quiker; 04-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #20
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,342
Rewards Points: 14,572
Default

Re: Floor squeaks


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
It seems as most of the floor popping is an area along a certain wall (red line in pic). I will have to go up in the attic and see if i nails holding the trusses or if i see truss clips. I did look at the plans and the county plan examiner did indicated that there should be truss clips along the front porch. When the truss clips are written does that mean all the trusses should have truss clips all the way to the back wall or only in the front where it's written "truss clips"?
On the end of the truss he meant hurricane ties. Those will be joining the truss to the outside wall where you don't want it to move.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
2Quiker (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 107
Rewards Points: 140
Default

Re: Floor squeaks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
On the end of the truss he meant hurricane ties. Those will be joining the truss to the outside wall where you don't want it to move.

ok, i see. Sorry for all the questions, i am not a builder and i am trying to understand why i have a lot of floor squeaks. So should they have installed truss clips like the ones you posted ( or like this https://www.adheseal.com.au/shop/flo...uss-clips.html) on all the truss in the inside of the house?
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,342
Rewards Points: 14,572
Default

Re: Floor squeaks


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
ok, i see. Sorry for all the questions, i am not a builder and i am trying to understand why i have a lot of floor squeaks. So should they have installed truss clips like the ones you posted ( or like this https://www.adheseal.com.au/shop/flo...uss-clips.html) on all the truss in the inside of the house?
Yes those are what should be used, but this is only one possible cause of a floor squeak and if you fix this, you might get into where the truss lifts and breaks the seam between the wall and ceiling drywall.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
2Quiker (04-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts